Guess I can join the owners club now.. lol..

Darkjeweler

Songster
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Sanford
As part of a trade, I just received a breeding pair of ringneck pheasants for 10 guinea keets. The hen is laying basically an egg a day. I will be saving and hatching the eggs and either sell the chicks or grow them a bit and release them. I was a little I'll prepaired to have pheasants. I had to keep them in the Guinea coop for 2 days till I could build them a small coop of their own (4x4x8) (the guineas and chickens were not happy). Granted it is no flight pen, but that will happen later. The pair will be cooped up in the coop for a couple of weeks and then allowed out into the 25x30 aviary with all the other birds (30 ducks, 11 guineas, 8 chickens). The Guineas free range during the day and come in at night. The pheasants would be let into the big pen after the guineas have gone in the morning so I don't have to worry about them running out with guineas. I may also have to toss the rooster out to free range so it won't fight with the pheasants.

Eventually, I will be building an addition to the aviary. Probably another 24x30 in 8' sections. So the flight pen will be either 8x30 or 8x15 depending on how I split it up.

Question on netting: I see alot of people use flight netting over the top of the run. What is the advantages of flight netting over chicken wire? Flight netting seems to be quite a bit pricier than chicken wire. Also, do you like to use the light duty or the heavy flight netting?

Thanks,

Netting will not damage your birds as chicken wire will. You will have bald and cut up pheasants, even seen them almost behead themselves.

Back
Top Bottom