Guess I have to build a bator...

ptig78d

Songster
13 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Bucksport, ME
Well, in all the hatching frenzy threads..(February Hatch Along), I got addicted to the idea of hatching eggs. So, I checked on Uncle Henry's (a Maine/New England buy/sell/swap publication) and Maine Craig's List and found a list for a bator. The listing was for an LG still air, had the LG fan kit for an additional 20 bucks (no thanks...have an old cpu fan)...and some chick waterer and feeders. So, I called the number, talked to the guy, and decided to buy it. Well, that was a mistake (much to my chagrin b/c DW told me she had a bad feeling). I paid him through PayPal (not completely foolish..I do know to protect myself) on the 1st. In hindsight, I just should have driven the 52 miles to his house and bought in person. Well, when it hadn't arrived by the 7th, I called his number and left a message. The next day, I received an email from PayPal saying that my item had shipped. OK...now we're getting somewhere, right? NOPE.
somad.gif
He didn't give me a tracking number (though I requested it)...and shipped it through UPS (according to the PayPal notice), instead of the USPS. Well, it's now the 10th, and I've filed a dispute on PayPal saying I haven't recieved the item. I also called and left another message on his cellphone, inquiring as to where the package is, or at least what is it's tracking number?
Well, here's the kicker. I was so "in the moment" of hatching...that I bid on, and won, an auction for some BO hatching eggs from greenfamilyfarms on the 4th. By the way, THANKYOU Kandace...I can't wait til they get here! Thanks for submitting the delivery confirmation number so I can track it!!
smile.png

So, I've got hatching eggs that I expect tomorrow, and a bator that might or might not come. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to build one....then I'll have the other for backup, if it ever shows!
The good news is that after looking at the homemade bator pages, I've taken stock of my inventory and will only have to get the H2O thermostat and a styrofoam cooler. I called our local Hannaford grocery and talked to someone in Seafood dept that told me to check in the morning for the styrofoam coolers they get full salmon fillets in..they might save one!
I found an old bottle lamp in the garage, which I dismantled...so I don't need the bottle lamp kit, and I already have the 12V CPU fan, which I wired to a transformer I found (works!!).
Wish me luck!
fl.gif

Hope it works out. You'll have to take pics of your bator project and let us all see. And keep us updated on your eggs. Good luck!!

Don't ya just love running into the sleazeballs of the world.....NOT!!!
sad.png
Sorry you took it in the pants if that incubator doesn't show up. But, like you say, you were smart enough to use PayPal. Hopefully they'll credit your account and then go after this guy for ya!

Good luck on the 'bator project. How many eggs are coming to you? Hope each and every one arrives safely, no cracks, not too cold and all in good hatching condition! Be sure to post pics of your completed incubator!

I would love to hear how your thermostat works. And before I go further, I might recommend that you try a different method.

I just built my first incubator. It was easy and fun to build. I bought the same water heater thermostat that all the other homemade incubators have, but it allows the temps to swing as much as 10*!!

If you decide to go with it, I would love to hear how you do with it. I am so frustrated. It must be me. I must be doing something wrong. How can all those incubators be working if the temps are swinging that much?

Hope it works better for you. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Me too! Personally, I think the water heater thermostat, well, sucks! I let my homemade incubator run for 3 days before putting eggs in and had a temp variance of about 3 degrees. After putting the eggs in the thermostat just seemed to totally wack out on me. I stayed up most of the night for about 3 nights in a row just adjusting the thermostat every hour or two. It would shoot up high (105) and then drop (97) then up, then down. It never would stabilize. Finally I borrowed an LG from my vet to finish the hatch - only 3 of 14 and one of those died. After that experience, I ordered a Repti-temp 500 thermostat from a pet supply store ($32) and installed it in my incubator. You can mount the thermostat outside because it has a probe with a 6' cord. I ran my incubator for a day and got the temp locked in between 99 and 100.4 with no problem. I am on day 13 with no lost sleep and the temps are holding perfect. I know it cost about three times as much but it was worth every penny!

thank you for posting. I have been dying to hear what someone's experience has REALLY been with the h2o heater thermostat.
I am setting eggs on Saturday, but after your post, I may be calling around to see if I can find a wafer thermostat in town somewhere.
Ptig - Hope our little "highjack" of your thread is helpful to you as you build your incubator. Good luck with your hatch!

Quote:
No problem, Gc! We all help each other and learn from other's mistakes and successes! I've learned so much just reading threads where people discuss what works for them and what doesn't!
OH, Good news! After I dropped youngest DS off at preschool, I ran around to the community pharmacy, grocery store (seafood dept)...looking for a styrofoam shipping container I could use. I got lucky at the local Vets office! In fact, she came back out with 3 different sized containers, saying she was glad they would be used again as she feels bad throwing them away all the time! Yay me! Gotta Love FREE!!
ya.gif

So, I don't know if my eggs will show up today or not.....checked the tracking number at USPS site, but no new updated status. :sad Oh well....that gives me time to build my bator, after I study for my Intro to Sociology test today!

See ya around, like a donut!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom