Guess the gestation of chick that didn't not survive.....

Mommyof4girls

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
I went to check on my Momma yesterday. When she got off her eggs I noticed she had cracked two of the eggs she was sitting on. One egg was rotten and the other looked newly cracked and I could still see movement from the baby inside (big hole, but no hole in membrane and some blood). I really didn't know what to do. All the "internet advise" said to leave the egg with Momma and let nature run its course. She has been sitting on them for exactly 21 days so I was hoping it would be ok and start to hatch. Unfortunately this morning we found that the chick had died at some point. My daughter and I removed the chick from the egg to examine it to see if we could tell what happened (too young, maybe suffocated...).

So my question is....Does anyone want to guess the age of the chick? I thought for sure they were around the 21 day mark, if not more, but this chick looks more like day 16 or 17 because of the amount of yolk still let for it to absorb. The Momma is a white Silkie and the Dad is a black Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom