Guess the mystery rooster breed....

A DNA test for chickens? I had no idea! (My kids are still begging me to have our mystery dog tested.)

Another interesting fact: The one daughter who is an olive egger has a pea comb. Those laying brown eggs like their mamas have single, more Australorp-looking combs. I'm waiting to hear if the pea-combed hen daughters are also the colored egg layers in my friend's flock. If so, the comb and egg color are likely linked. I guess that would make sense, since Ameracaunas and Aucanas have pea combs. Does this sound possible?

We saved back 3 pea-combed pullets from the next hatch, who are due to start laying soon. Time will tell! If so, hopefully they will also have the generous egg laying trait of their Australorp mamas.

A DNA test for chickens? I had no idea! (My kids are still begging me to have our mystery dog tested.)

Another interesting fact: The one daughter who is an olive egger has a pea comb. Those laying brown eggs like their mamas have single, more Australorp-looking combs. I'm waiting to hear if the pea-combed hen daughters are also the colored egg layers in my friend's flock. If so, the comb and egg color are likely linked. I guess that would make sense, since Ameracaunas and Aucanas have pea combs. Does this sound possible?

We saved back 3 pea-combed pullets from the next hatch, who are due to start laying soon. Time will tell!
There are not DNA tests for chickens except for determining sex (same for all birds like parrots for example). Pea combs and the gene for blue eggs are close in location to each other. They are very likely to be inherited together! You were smart for keeping the pea-combed offspring :)

Back
Top Bottom