Guesses on this chick's breed? UPDATE on post #9

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedIII, Feb 14, 2012.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hello, hello! I recently bought a couple of chicks, one EE and one mystery chick. She is white with a few large black dots on her and a smattering of black/gray on the back of her neck. Age is about 3-4 weeks.

I am wondering if anyone would care to take a gander at her and tell me what you think she could possibly be? My best guess is a California White (wishful thinking), but I also wondered about a white Cornish or a Delaware. She does not have feathered feet, so Brahma is out.

[​IMG]
    Here she is, the white one in the back. This picture is the truest to her coloring that I could get.

[​IMG]
    One of the black dots is visible there near her tail.

[​IMG]
    Here's a view of the speckling on her neck. There also seems to be a little of that going on on parts of her wings (see second image)

Okay, I want to hear your thoughts!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    It looks like a Delaware to me...but i cant be too certain...so don't go entirely off of what i say

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Looks like a Delaware, but I also hatched out a sexlink cross last spring that looked like that, too.

4. I'm voting Delaware. Just raised one for a friend and it looks the same.

5. RedIII

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Sounds good, thank you. I was just uncertain because I didn't know if Delawares had polkadots like that. Whatever she is, I'm glad to have her [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She might be, she might be something else (such as a white or other production type bird)

If she continues to have speckling in a barred sense on her neck AND her tail, she's a Delaware.

7. ya i say deleware, we had a hen and roo (only ones we had LOL, they came as a couple LOL [​IMG]) they were so sweet, be happy to have her, shes adorable

8. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Can't loose with either Delaware or California White. Both are excellent layers. I know they say California's have black spots, but none of mine have. They look just like a Leghorn.

9. RedIII

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hey, just an update for everyone. This pullet is about 9 weeks old now, and it is definitely looking like she's a Delaware! Many thanks, all! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OMG SO CUTE!

im sad now, our deleware died yesterday :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by