Guinea advice.

SilkieMan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Elkview
Hey guys, I have a small mixed flock of chickens, half silkies. I've been doing some thinking and I think I'd like to take in one or two female guineas. I will probably get them as chicks from our local feed store in the spring. I'd like to have them because of bug and tick control, and another "guard dog" to have around. Noise shouldn't be a problem, because i know they are super loud sometimes! Higher protein diet for chicks also, right? Well y'all are the experts so feel free to throw in some advice, tips, and stories or pictures if you'd like! thanks ahead of time!
smile.png

Yes, keets need to be raised on higher protein starter feed (27-28% protein is what's recommended), then they can be weaned over onto a grower feed (at least 20% protein) at 6 weeks, then they can be weaned over onto a layer feed (normally 16% protein) at around 12 weeks, and that can be their staple diet as adults. (They require no less than 16% protein for adult maintenance).

The Hens can start laying as early as 14-15 weeks of age, and they do not need a male to start laying. If allowed to free range they may lay their eggs in the bushes and suddenly disappear... because they have gone broody on a well hidden pile of eggs somewhere. Predators tend to pick off broody Guinea Hens.

You can't sex keets until they are 5-6 weeks old, so there's no telling what you will get unless you get older keets that have been sexed by their calls (Hens are really the only ones that can reliably be sexed this early).

Also one other thing is that Silkies are rather docile, while Guineas are not... you may have issues after the Guineas have grown. Some people have no aggression issues with their flocks, but some have nothing but problems.

Thanks for the reassurance. As for the keets, I think I know a place where I can get older ones. Hopefully, if I integrate the babies to my flock in time, they will be more easy-going on the silkies. I have a Silkie roo and a big frizzle roo that will hopefully keep everything under control. Guineas seem so interesting, and hopefully this all works out. Thanks so much for advice, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom