Guinea being left behind

Pwest

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Salem, MO
We have 4 guineas about 9 months old. We've had them about 2 months, kept them penned up and recently let them out to free range. They stay mostly around the house, although over the weekend they were gone for over 24 hrs, but eventually came back home. I've read that guineas will move as a group, staying together and not leaving any behind. We have 1 lavender that gets left behind all the time. She spends her days carrying on calling for them, because the other 3 have taken off without her. And sometimes she can even see them, what direction they're heading but she'll stand and call for them instead of following. These guineas were hatched and raised together, they get along fine... I just don't understand why she doesn't join the other 3. Even when they are together and she's moving in the same direction as them (for example taking a walk around the pond) she'll always be maybe 40' behind them. My husband thinks I worry too much about them... right now the 3 are nowhere to be seen but she's out back calling for them. I took her some worms and scratch because I feel so bad for her always being by herself. Just wondering if this is normal or what might be going on.

Hi and welcome to BYC...from my experience with guineas, you can't really make them do anything, or if you manage to get them together, it will probably be temporary. They are noisy a lot. The females have a 2 syllable call, come back! come back! If it's a one syllable call, it's a male.

Thank you for the welcome! I've been reading here a while and have learned so much. And yes I'm learning how stubborn these guineas can be haha Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom