Guinea being outcast by others

Foghorn Mike

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Virginia
I have nine 12 week old guineas. I think I have 4 females and 5 males. One of them is being outcast by the others. My guess is it is one of the males. They all seem fine in the coop and roost together. When they get outside in the large run however, they won't let this one get too close to them. They will chase him to the far end or he will go back in the coop. He is eating and doing fine, just seems to be the outcast. Any ideas?

Two falls ago we had a flock of nine young Guineas that were completely free range (we later found out that there was one male and eight females). One of the females was made an outcast. The Guineas would wander all over, eating bugs, grass, etc., and the one female (we named her "Lonesome") would follow along about twenty feet behind the others. Winter came around, and she was still an outcast. But then in March, when breeding season began, Lonesome was fully accepted by all of the flock members, and still is to this day.
smile.png

Pretty soon (if they aren't already) your Guineas will begin making their adult noises. Listen for who's making the "buck-wheat!, buck-wheat!, buck-wheat!" noise. 100% of the time that's a female (males can not make this noise). The other noise ("chi!-chi!-chi!-chi!") can be made by either gender. Hopefully your outcast is a female, because then she will later (breeding season next spring) be accepted. If it's a male..... I don't know what to tell ya..... With time he may be accepted, or he might not....

I just came from the coop and I think this bird needs Prozac. They were all roosting together and I gave them their nightly millet. He ate with the rest of them but when they were finished and started to eat from the feeder, he jumps up on the lower roost and starts pacing. Back and forth, back and forth looking at them. This went on for about 10 minutes, he jumped down, made a little run around the coop and then back up and starts pacing again. Finally, the rest finish eating and all lay down by the mirror in the shavings. He now jumps down and eats. Either he's a "little nervy" because they have made him that way or he's so nervy he sets them off to chase him away.

my younger guineas did that to one of the males (scootie) so when i put everyone in i left him out to eat by him self after a few months of this they let him back in and have no problems anymore, sometimes i think these birds are just a little bit mental and need some meds lol

i have a chicken who is kinda antisocial... i can't tell if she is shy and they are mean to her, or if she's the kid that smells.

Hopefully they will all grow out of it....?

Back
Top Bottom