Guinea Chase

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
We had quiet an eventful evening.
roll.png

I have a broody hen that hatched out 4 keets that are now about a month old or something like that, she also adopted 2 half grown guinea keets. I also have a mamma hen and 2 chicks that are all in the front yard. Anyways the guineas and their mommy are pretty good about going back to their hutch at night and the chicken and her babies are good about going back to their dog carrier at night as well.
This evening I was out walking for 30 minutes like I do every evening and a friend calls me so I'm talking to her and trying to walk at the same time. It takes me a little long to walk then I thought it would to finish up my walking. I get a late start on taking care of the chickens, I had to fill up a 5 gallon waterer and such so it took awhile cause I had to haul water to the pen. I finish with my chickens and go into the front yard to lock up the mamma's and their babies .. they're nowhere to be found! I run in the house and get everybody to help me look for them. I found Sophie ( the momma of the guineas ) in the hutch with 3 baby keets with her and then I hear flapping up in the tree right above me and there are the two older ones and 1 of the baby keets ..
roll.png

We have to go around back and then somehow I managed to catch the baby guinea and then the two older ones start getting higher up in the tree so I run back to the other side of the fence and started trying to poke them with the handle of a rack. I poked one and he flew out of the tree and somehow my sister caught him out of mid-air!
ep.gif
The other one had climbed higher up into the tree and I lost sight of him because by this time it is dark dark. Then I hear a chicken scream at the barn so me, my mom and my lil' sis' go running out there while by older sis and young bro are getting the gun and bullets. We go out there and nothing .... we walk back to the front yard and we got a latter and my mom got up there and poked the guinea and he flew to the other side of the yard we all rush afterhim and he ran into the corner of the fence and I just dive on him! I soooo wanted to strangle that guinea .. but refrained from doing so.
wink.png

Then we had to go hunt down the mamma hen and her 2 chicks, we found them on the backporch roosting on a barrel with wood in it ... I nab her and put them in their rightful place and head for the house .... I'm sure I wasn't the only person that was complely exhausted!
lol.png

Just thought I would share this excited adventure with you other "Guinea Catchers!"
gig.gif

Last edited:
LOL Know what you mean. My BA has 5 two week old chicks. They live in a broody box in the shed to keep them safe from the fire ants. Well I have started to let them out during the day since the chicks are bigger now. Well the mom knows to jump into the shed and 4 of the chicks figure out how to jump in to. Well of course there has to be one who is trouble. Spent almost an hour in between commercials. Of course all this had to happen when Glee was on. LOL Anyway long story short finally caught the baby and they are going to stay in their cage for another week. Hopefully then they can all jump into the shed so I don't have to be chasing chicks. Oh I did ad a ramp so they can get in easier, but the one never pays attention and just runs around it!
lol.png

It seems like out of every bunch there is always a stupid one!
lol.png
roll.png

When the keets were new born I had to catch them every afternoon because they didn't have their feathers, so they couldn't fly into the hutch! I had many a fun afternoons chasing keets around the yard with the momma hen right behind me trying to kill me ...
wee.gif
( < Me running for dear life!!!
lol.png
)

LOL I am hoping the stupid one is a roo and I can just send him to the freezer when he gets older. My luck it is the only hen out of the 5.

Back
Top Bottom