Guinea Chases Goat?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lv99RedChocobo, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Lv99RedChocobo

Lv99RedChocobo New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    I've had guinea fowl for a few years now, and I love all their quirky antics. But before I had my guinea fowl, I had chickens. Bantam Brahma and Black Australorp. I have several chickens and two Nigerian Dwarf goats. After having the goats for almost two years, we welcomed six guinea keets into the family.

It's been a few years since then. I regret to say that I am down to three guinea: two males and a female. Their names are William, Charles, and Phoebe. Sadly, we had a coyote and weasel problem a couple years back, and the outcome was grim.

I love watching the guinea roam about the property, eating and pecking at whatever interests them. It's especially funny when they stare at their reflections in the window. I have to wonder what they think. Do they think it's another bird, or do they realize that they're looking at themselves?

It's strange, I think. Guinea prefer to stick together; mine have always been together, but once in a while, the female will go off on her own. It worries me sometimes because I don't know if this is normal or if something is wrong. Before long, they always join up again, but the males are completely inseparable.

My guinea fowl don't roost in trees like I thought they would. Everyone I've talked to said that they usually do, but mine actually go inside the barn every evening and sleep perched on the gate near the goats. They've always liked the goats, as far as I can tell, except for one of the males (Charles) who likes to chase one of the goats. The same goat each time, never the other one.

When Charles chases the goat, he doesn't appear aggressive, but he pecks at her legs as he chases her. Eventually, the goat turns around and smacks him with the side of her head, and they usually go back and forth a few times before calming down.
    Is this okay? Are they playing or fighting? No one seems to get hurt, but I worry sometimes. I know it's not uncommon for guinea fowl to chase each other like that, so I honestly can't say. If they are indeed fighting, is there anything I can do?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sounds like you need to get some more guinea hens in the spring. When the hen wanders off, she is more than likely laying. They like to go off by themselves. If you have dogs, they are probably finding and eating the eggs before she can lay a clutch and start sitting.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Good advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by