Guinea eggs hatching in incubator what do I do?

RACHELLE85

Songster
7 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Today is 26 day I thought it was 28, so my hatcher isnt even set up yet. I have 13 eggs some are pipping. I just set 5 dozen more in the incubator yesterday so I dont wanna jack up the humidity. Theyre pipping at the large end in egg carton should I leave them in egg carton when I put them in hatcher or take them out?

First time guinea hatching!!!

Today is 26 day I thought it was 28, so my hatcher isn't even set up yet. I have 13 eggs some are pipping. I just set 5 dozen more in the incubator yesterday so I don't wanna jack up the humidity. They're pipping at the large end in egg carton should I leave them in egg carton when I put them in hatcher or take them out?

First time guinea hatching!!!

You just found out what many already know, guinea eggs can very often hatch on day 26. Every time I incubate, I have keets hatch on day 26 and they can and sometimes do continue hathing onto day 28.

Since you don't have your hatcher ready, I would recommend that you leave the eggs as is and do raise your humidity some. You didn't say what your humidity is so I cannot advise how much you should raise it. Since your other eggs have only been in the incubator for one day, a couple of days at higher than normal humidity should not harm them as long as you bring the humidity back down after you get the keets out of there.

You also have the option of hurrying up and getting your hatcher ready and then moving the keets and unhatched eggs to it. Doing so will put the pipped keets in danger of becoming shrink wrapped or being able to pip and zip but not able to break the membrane well enough to be able to get out.

The keets can hatch with the eggs laying down or you can leave them in the egg cartons and they will still be able to hatch. Either way will work and both methods have their supporters that prefer one way over the other.

Good luck with your hatch.

Hello:

Oh, the wonders of the Guinea Fowl. I ALMOST ALWAYS take the hatchlings out of the incubator. I do this quickly and while I am there check to see if the other eggs need a hole to the outer world for air.
Some will break the egg shell only to expire because the egg lining did not break.
Do not worry about the humidity, it WILL return in a few hours to what you had it set at.
I take the turner out on day 24 without hesitation and the little turds usually start to peep on day 26.
I DO NOT use an egg carton. I find this method good for banty chics, but that is about it.
I just lay the eggs on their sides and I DO NOT turn them once they are set to hatch.
I watch carefully for keets that are dragging the egg shell with their umbilical cord still attached.
I cut these with a pair of cutical scissors at the "thinning" of the cord.
I do plan the hatch and stay all day on day 26 and 27 reading or working from home.
It is sorta like "mare watch" when foaling season comes except a whole lot easier.

Hope this helps:
Guinea G.

Man them are some stout little dudes! I went ahead and put them in the hatcher. I have had chicks hatch once a week for a month so i figured it would stabilize. I just laid them in hatcher and we have 8 out of 12 out one suffocatec with the membrane over his face. They are so fascinating! And so much less stress than my chicks. Thanks yall!

Back
Top Bottom