Guinea Eggs - HELP!

CrazyCluckinJones

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2018
So I ordered 12 guinea eggs off ebay, excited to add to my flock, the seller said that by chance the guineas stopped laying the day I bought the eggs. There was some back and forth and she said that she would send me what she had and send a dozen next spring if I'd just pay shipping. Well my heart was broken, she said she had 2. So I asked for her wait a few days and collect if there were any and send those and we'd worry about refund or shipping next spring then. 2 weeks went by, I emailed her and she said that she would send me the fresh eggs she had and refund my money when the eggs arrived (which I thought was weird, why would you if I was purchasing your goods, but none the less) I told her that I wasn't worried about a refund for her troubles and looked forward to what she had collected.
WELL the eggs arrived today and are pictured below. Upon candling, the two speckled ones are dark, I mean dark on the inside, that rolls around as I candle and move the eggs. The air sac is detached so the dark blob moves all over. WHAT IS THIS?! Old? Rotten? Once developing?
The other 3, I'm unsure are guinea eggs as the only ones I've seen are speckled. The white one was candled and there looked like writing on it, so I cut on the light, LOOKS LIKE WHITE OUT! Super sketchy.

Just trying to figure out what the dark eggs are or whats happened. Never seen an egg like this prior to incubation.

20181025_175828.jpg

20181025_175844.jpg
20181025_184148.jpg
20181025_184948.jpg

So I ordered 12 guinea eggs off ebay, excited to add to my flock, the seller said that by chance the guineas stopped laying the day I bought the eggs. There was some back and forth and she said that she would send me what she had and send a dozen next spring if I'd just pay shipping. Well my heart was broken, she said she had 2. So I asked for her wait a few days and collect if there were any and send those and we'd worry about refund or shipping next spring then. 2 weeks went by, I emailed her and she said that she would send me the fresh eggs she had and refund my money when the eggs arrived (which I thought was weird, why would you if I was purchasing your goods, but none the less) I told her that I wasn't worried about a refund for her troubles and looked forward to what she had collected.
WELL the eggs arrived today and are pictured below. Upon candling, the two speckled ones are dark, I mean dark on the inside, that rolls around as I candle and move the eggs. The air sac is detached so the dark blob moves all over. WHAT IS THIS?! Old? Rotten? Once developing?
The other 3, I'm unsure are guinea eggs as the only ones I've seen are speckled. The white one was candled and there looked like writing on it, so I cut on the light, LOOKS LIKE WHITE OUT! Super sketchy.

Just trying to figure out what the dark eggs are or whats happened. Never seen an egg like this prior to incubation.

View attachment 1571006
View attachment 1571008 View attachment 1571009 View attachment 1571011
:welcome
Not all guinea eggs are speckled. I personally received one white guinea egg from a supplier, so yes it is possible for a guinea to lay a white egg. If the eggs you received are all shaped like guinea eggs (wide on one end and pointed on the other) they most likely are guinea eggs.

It looks like you were shipped eggs that were already developing. It is very unlikely that they survived the trip. Keep a close eye on them, if they become dark and soupy looking and the whole mass rolls around easily in the shell, discard them carefully because that is a sign of them being rotten.

Good luck.

I think they're already dark and soupy :(
They clunk around when you rotate the egg.

I believe I was duped. Maybe I'll take her up on that refund upon arrival.

I would take her up on the refund. If those are what the eggs looked like just after you received them, then you've been duped. You either have to not know anything about eggs and how they develop, or be trying to dupe someone if you send them half-incubated eggs.
I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience like this.

I think they're already dark and soupy :(
They clunk around when you rotate the egg.

I believe I was duped. Maybe I'll take her up on that refund upon arrival.
If they are already soupy, I would discard them carefully.

It really is late in the season for guinea eggs. My guineas quit laying two weeks ago.

I thought that guinea eggs candled very oddly. We set 18 eggs last spring, along with duck and chicken eggs. I weighed and candled the lot of them weekly. At the beginning, the guinea eggs just looked like an amorphous thick cloud to me. After incubating for 7 days, I could clearly see embryos developing in the ducks and chickens, but the guineas still looked like soup. I figured that they were probably infertile, but since I’d read that they are hard to candle, I still incubated them. At 14 days, I could suddenly see distinct embryos and blood vessels instead of gunk. Only one was infertile, one was a quitter, and 16 hatched.

Back
Top Bottom