Guinea eggs scattered

sure, makes sence... one egg every day or two, X how many days its been since you stopped gathering them.
If i were you and i really wanted guinea chicks i would gather them all and set them in an incubator.
i bet most would hatch, given that they have not frozen.
Leaving them in the coop, hoping your hen will go broody and hatch them may just lead to a bunch of wasted and rotten eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-guinea-thread.1016471/
the above thread is from 2015 but has a few great pictures of brooding guineas.
You will know when you have one as she will gather all the eggs together making a clutch, and once the brooding session has started, she will be on that nest day and night only leaving it for a short time , typically once daily in the morning to eat and drink.

sure, makes sence... one egg every day or two, X how many days its been since you stopped gathering them.
If i were you and i really wanted guinea chicks i would gather them all and set them in an incubator.
i bet most would hatch, given that they have not frozen.
Leaving them in the coop, hoping your hen will go broody and hatch them may just lead to a bunch of wasted and rotten eggs.
I brought them all in but 5 last time after R2 told me to. I believe they are all still edible. I do not want anymore chicks lol.

Everyone said 38 eggs is too many for one hen to lay and are convinced more birds are adding to it. I think its
just her. She never comes out.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look now.

Well you had 9 eggs on janary 24 and that is 26 days ago. So if she laid an egg a day that would give you 35 eggs.
So you do seem to have a few extra. Can any other hen guinea, chicken or otherwise get into this area during the day?
Is it possible there were more eggs hidden in the bedding of the coop that you did not account for before?

By broody you mean she should be sitting on the eggs correct? She just shuffles them about the coop.

Is 38 a normal amount for one hen to lay?
By broody, I mean actually sitting on the nest except for a short trip for food, water and bowel movements.

Once a guinea hen gets into laying eggs, it is not uncommon for the hen to lay one egg a day until either she goes broody or laying season ends. A hen that has been laying for 6 weeks could easily lay 40 eggs in that time period.

Well you had 9 eggs on janary 24 and that is 26 days ago. So if she laid an egg a day that would give you 35 eggs.
So you do seem to have a few extra. Can any other hen guinea, chicken or otherwise get into this area during the day?
Is it possible there were more eggs hidden in the bedding of the coop that you did not account for before?
There were 2 new ones yesterday. I dont think others are laying but I would not stake my life on it. I cleaned out the entire coop and put new bedding in so I didnt miss any.

I took the advice and marked 5 that I leave in there. Today she has them all buried so I couldnt see any new ones.

Shes weird...one day they are all scattered and the next they are in a perfect pile and next day scattered again.

If I havent said it 100 times....thank you guys for answering my millions of questions. I didnt expect them to be harder than a dog to take care of but I love them 🥰

I do not want more chicks. My coop is too small for more. 2 eggs were definitely laid in one day. I had the other 5 marked. Only one male and female watch over them.
As @50-45-1 said, if there are more than one egg a day, it is likely that more than one hen is laying. It is very common for guinea hens to share a nest. Also the appearance of at least one hen burying the eggs and at other times the eggs end up scattered is a really good indication that others or something else is messing with the nest.

Back
Top Bottom