Guinea eggs

I have taught mine to come home!!!! I raised them from chicks and said the same phrase "hey guys hey, sweet keets" from the time I brought them home. They went from an brooder box to an outdoor brooder box to a coop and are now 4 months old. Two days ago I let them out for first time and I was so happy both nights they came home when I called them! Will I find the eggs inside the coop? How soon will they start laying?

So what I'm getting from reading this thread is that guinea eggs are delicious!!! If they come home at night they will lay somewhere in their coop? Should I provide nesting materials; straw, lint, wood shavings, etc.?
Guineas tend to lay their eggs during the day so they will already have laid them before going into the coop at night. There are some other threads that talk about what others have done to entice their guineas to lay in the coop. Some can be persuaded to lay in the coop and some will never lay their eggs in the coop.

Their nests typically consist of a hole dug in the ground. They do not build nests like song birds so there is no reason to offer "lint" to them. They do like secluded spots for their nests.

Good luck.

Guineas tend to lay their eggs during the day so they will already have laid them before going into the coop at night. There are some other threads that talk about what others have done to entice their guineas to lay in the coop. Some can be persuaded to lay in the coop and some will never lay their eggs in the coop.

Their nests typically consist of a hole dug in the ground. They do not build nests like song birds so there is no reason to offer "lint" to them. They do like secluded spots for their nests.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! These are the answers I have been searching the threads for!!! I bought them for pest control so I won't count on eggs. I just don't want one of my hens to decide to sit on some and not come home. They free range my 19 acre farm that is about 2/3 woods. I guess my best bet is to look for freshly dug dirt? Will they lay in the undergrowth? Leaves? Again thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much! These are the answers I have been searching the threads for!!! I bought them for pest control so I won't count on eggs. I just don't want one of my hens to decide to sit on some and not come home. They free range my 19 acre farm that is about 2/3 woods. I guess my best bet is to look for freshly dug dirt? Will they lay in the undergrowth? Leaves? Again thank you so much!!!
I've got 14 more in a brooder box. Any advice on adding birds to the existing flock? They will have to share a coop.

Back
Top Bottom