Guinea Fowl answer's to my Prayers?

jojackc

Chirping
Aug 18, 2016
So I see a lot of people free range Guinea fowl. What do you think about letting them free range in a residential neighborhood? I live in chandler Arizona and we are not allowed to have chickens. But there is a loop hole that allows other birds as pets. Currently I have 9 quail. 5 coturnix and 4 Gamble. But they are caged. I would like to have something I can just let free roam in the backyard but my backyard isn't that big maybe 2000sq feet. I know chickens would be fine back there but I'm not allowed. What else could I use?

Last edited:
I have 2 guineas and I live in the city. I have a five foot chain link fence which , knock on wood they have not flown over. I keep their wings clipped so they cannot fly. They are noisey I don't mind the noise and my neighbors have not complained. They free range in our yard and go in the coop at night.

I would check with your neighbors first and see how they would feel about you having guineas. If you can't keep them in the yard that might be a problem too. Mine knock on the screen door and want to come in the house. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate a guinea coming in their house and roosting on the chairs.

I love my guineas and I am glad I got them but you have to have understanding neighbors that won't complain about the noise. Who knows they might like yours so much they would get their own.

Ok, I'm curious now.. I've seen lots of mention of the noise from guineas. I had guineas as a kid and their noise (as I recall) was nothing compared to the racket my Delaware hen raises up on many days. Someone has just blessed us with a couple keets and I'm trying to negotiate how much I need to butter up my neighbors before they're grown. No one ever complained about our accidental roosters before we managed to stew them and we haven't heard a word about our loud hen, yet. Are guineas really that much louder than a bunch of hens hollering about laying an egg?

You should probably butter up your neighbors fairly good...lol. :)

Guinea fowl aren't that much louder than a bunch of hollering hens...but they can be vocal in the loudest sense throughout the entire day. It depends on the guineas...but if they see something strange, hear something strange...imagine they saw or heard something strange...they can and possibly will sound the alarm every time.

I love our guineas...and our closest neighbor is 1.5 miles away so there's no concern. Our original 4 guineas were terrible...I sold the worst two offenders. Every time my husband started to talk...they'd sound the alarm until he was done speaking. I've raised the flock to 13 adults and it isn't anywhere as noisy as the first four guineas were. But they do sound off every day...sometimes several times a day. But thankfully not when we're trying to talk. laughing.gif

Some folks have gone to their city councils and gotten the law changed. Also be sure to find out if hens would be ok, as long as you didn't have a rooster. I would be very hesitant about guineas in a township that legislated against chickens. They really are very loud, although if you just had 2, like PattyHen, maybe it would ok. The females are considered to be the loudest and some people, it seems, get adult guineas specifically so they can be sure they have all males.

Back
Top Bottom