Guinea fowl for meat - questions.

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
I was hesitant to post this in the Guinea section because so many people have them as pets. Hope nobody minds.

1. Have you raised Guineas for meat?

2. How long until time to butcher?

3. What weight do they generally dress out at?

4. Is there any significant difference between them and chicken butchering?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

I was told that if you stress them they will send a poison through there body's. So if you are going butcher them to eat. I would recommend it getting done a someone who had done it before.

Send a poison through their bodies? I'll be very surprised if that turns out to be correct. I suspect it's nothing more than the same adrenaline any bird or animal produces when frightened or alarmed.

Since guineas are extremely skittish birds, if that were true, nearly everybody who's eaten a guinea would have been poisoned.

I typically just let them free when they are old enough ti fly out from their pen. In the late fall I would use a shotgun and hunt them recovering about 75% (last year I harvested 78 of my original 100). I dressed them out just like chickens.

I smoked a bunch of them couple of weekends ago, served them to some guest and they raved about them. They were absolutely delicious.

smile.png

Thanks for the link Nancy. Lots of good info, and not a word about toxic releases.
wink.png

I hadn't planned on stressing them in any way if possible. I believe I have a responsibility to grow my own food, and since I am a true Omnivore, I am growing as much of my meat and plants as I can. I leave the Milk for the true farm owners and buy my organic milk.

Actually, on that subject, I am going to post another one. (ie. About spirits and libations used in butchering)

Regarding the hunting of guineas. That certainly would be an idea. But since I am actually in a small town, I think the gunfire would frighten many of my neighbors.... And without a doubt you are a better shot than me.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom