Guinea Fowl Killed During the Day

Eluna

Chirping
Nov 3, 2021
Hi! I'm asking this question in a few different places hoping to get some advice!

Something has been picking off my guinea fowl one by one. It's always during the day, it's always near the treeline, and it's always In a completely different spot on our property. The places they are getting taken (I'm guessing this is what's happening because there are just loads of feathers) are nowhere near each other. They're on opposite sides of a couple of acres.

They roost on the house at night right now, and I've always done a count in the morning. I haven't lost any at night yet. It's always sometime during the day. I'd prefer to not keep them in a run because they hate it and that kind of negates the purpose of having them.

I have farm dogs, but they don't seem to be doing their job keeping this predator away. Any advice is appreciated! I'm just so confused. Usually when we've had predator problems, they're at night.

It also has not gone after my ducks or my chickens... only my guinea fowl.

Where are you located? Also, is the predator leaving any of the body behind or taking all of it? What does the carcass look like? All of this can help figure this out.

You could also leave a camera or traps out and see if you capture anything.

Where are you located? Also, is the predator leaving any of the body behind or taking all of it? What does the carcass look like? All of this can help figure this out.

I’m in western Pennsylvania. I’ll set out some traps and see about getting some trail cams. I was thinking either fox or coyote.

Sorry for not including more info! Only feathers are left, no body or anything.

I’m located in Western, PA. Usually coyotes and foxes stay away from the house/barn because of the dogs… but this one seems to be more brazen. I’ll try to trap it, but any other advice is appreciated.

Sorry for not including more info! Only feathers are left, no body or anything.

I’m located in Western, PA. Usually coyotes and foxes stay away from the house/barn because of the dogs… but this one seems to be more brazen. I’ll try to trap it, but any other advice is appreciated.
Omg sorry for replying twice 😂 I’m doing too many things at once

Predators are feeding young now and are hunting when prey is available. My guess is that you are dealing with a mammalian predator. Likely a fox/bobcat/coyote. It will return, and eventually target your ducks and chickens. Good luck in solving the problem
We heard what we thought was a bobcat in the woods near our horse paddock yesterday… and the guineas walked right into the woods?! I’ll see what I can do about getting rid of it.

Yup, tis the season. In past few weeks we've trapped 4 raccoons & a skunk. The skunk was pretty young, the coons have been juvenile that I've seen. I haven't seen them all, & Himself thinks everything is HUGE. :lau

Back
Top Bottom