guinea fowl lethargic and cant make any noise

Ok, we caught him and ran a qtip down his throat but no worms were on it. He's showing all the signs though, gasping for air, screeching instead of cackling, bobbing his head, opening his mouth a lot and what looks and sounds like sneezing. His poop is like water. He's a lot more lethargic than yesterday, no problem catching him and when I did he just collapsed.

teeandtay,

I am so sorry to hear about your birdie. I had one with the same exact symptoms and literally starved herself to death 3 weeks after I saw her acting differently. I do not have a bird vet in my area and I tried everything I could find to help her but it was to late. Her poop was green and runny also and someone told me that is a sign of starvation and I knew she was not eating and stopped drinking. I just hated to do down to the pen wondering how I would find her and her mate Teddy was with her until she took her last breath. It was sad and now I feel deeply sorry for you.

Karen

Iam so sorry, I went through the same last week with my birds. I just don't know what happened. God bless.

That's pretty much what he's doing. We only have 2 and the other one stays right by his side and goes crazy when we separate them so I just let them stay together. I don't know what else to do.

It seems to me as though you did all you could. I kept beating myself up over her death also, but I also did all I was able to and without a vet in my area. The closest was 3 hours away, but now!! I did find 1 about 30 minutes away, but it is to late for sure. Someone also suggested to me that Timmi may have eaten something toxic and I did have some lettuce in the pen and maybe it did go bad and she ate it or she had an impacted crop. But she was not foaming or anything coming out of her beak or nostrils. So I do not know what happened to her. I know you are probably feeling helpless now, but you did do all you can. I also was told to separate the birds incase she was contagious, but that was not an option for my 2. They were always together, wherever Teddy was, so was Timmi or vice versa. So that is why I left him with her until she died also, and I figured, if he got what she had, oh well, I guess he will die and still be with her. When she did pass, my husband laid her inside the pen on a towel until he was able to bury her and after he took her out of the pen, Teddy kept looking for her and he kept laying in that same exact spot she laid. He was pitiful, and I felt sorry for him. He was so lonely, so I got him a new girlfriend, Tara. But now I do not have any. Because of some neighbors and my worrying about them 24/7, it was the best thing I was able to do in all fairness to the birds. When I move to another home with some acreage, I will get more, but I live in a small sub-division and there was not enough room for them. They are now on a farm with chickens.

I was real close to putting him down yesterday but today he seems a bit better and actually eating some. I really want him to make it so here is the new info:
He's just over a year old
Having trouble breathing; gasping for air and sneezing, shaking head
He will just kinda drop down when sitting and if your quiet he'll slowly drop his head and close his eyes
He seems to walk ok for a while but seems to get really tired quickly and sit, then heavy breathing
His poop is runny/snot-like and sometimes yellow or green (was thinking that could be from the antibiotic?) He is actually eating, my wife and I saw him eat some of the pellets two different times.
The other guinea seems to be just fine. I'm wondering if there may be something stuck in his throat? He seemed a little better after we ran the qtip down his throat but he still isn't well.

is he still on the Duramycin-10 ?

found this website and thought you could look and see if anything is close to his poop...?
http://chatallotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
this site is on chicken poop but should be close

guess he could still have worms?? and since after swabbing his throat there was a bit
of difference in him, think I would swab his throat again....also looking if something is
in his throat as well ??

glad there is some improvement..and hope he continues to get better
fl.gif

Thanks critters! Nothing to match exact b/c sometimes it'll be real watery and next time a little more solid. Yes they both are still drinking the duramycin10. I hope he is still ok in the morning, if so we'll try to swab his throat again. How far should we try to run the tip down his throat, we were scared we may hurt him if we went too far.

think I would try to swab just a bit further into his throat...don't know how
far back you did before but a bit more may show something different.

by chance is his poop green? or smelly? like a sulphur smell?

glad still on antibiotic....you should probably mix up a new batch
and replace their water mix with the new....unsure, but to be safe,
believe the mixture is best if drank in like a 48 hour time frame
maybe? anyway, be safe...mix a new batch and give him fresh...okay...

do you have any other poultry?

Back
Top Bottom