Guinea Fowl male and female male math

Marci2016

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I have 11 guinea fowl, 7 males and 4 females 4.5 months old. They free range during the day on 11 acres and sleep on their enclosed roost at night. They are all family members. I found a lady with 5 month old female guineas. How many should I get? What is the safest way for the current confusion and the new guineas? Thank you for your help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_095046.jpg
    IMG_20231120_095046.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 59
Adult guineas are quite entertaining in the spring.
They all get along most of the year, but when spring comes, they seem to pair up, one male/one female and dont let other males near His chosen girl.
Since my flock is more males than females, I get quite a lit of chasing and fussing amongst the males.
I think a even mix would be best.
Maybe if they were confined in a smaller space, less males would work better
Good luck!

I have 11 guinea fowl, 7 males and 4 females 4.5 months old. They free range during the day on 11 acres and sleep on their enclosed roost at night. They are all family members. I found a lady with 5 month old female guineas. How many should I get? What is the safest way for the current confusion and the new guineas? Thank you for your help!!!
I would add 3 to 5 new hens.

You should follow the proper protocol for quarantining the new additions. Once they have passed quarantine, pen them in a see but no touch pen or cage. Once the attacks at the wire have stopped, you can start turning them loose one at a time. I would release one each day until all the new ones have been released.

There will be pecking order disputes until things are settled.

Fall or winter seems to be the best time for new introductions. Spring is by far the worst time for new iintros.

You should follow the proper protocol for quarantining the new additions. Once they have passed quarantine, pen them in a see but no touch pen or cage. Once the attacks at the wire have stopped, you can start turning them loose one at a time. I would release one each day until all the new ones have been released.

Fall or winter seems to be the best time for new introductions. Spring is by far the worst time for new iintros.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate your time and energy!

I got 5 new guineas. It has been 1 week and my original flock refused to go inside away from the new females tonight. Do you think it would be safe to let the new females out tomorrow? Thank you!

You can try letting one loose and see how it goes. If it goes well, let another loose the next day.
My concern is that my original flock has not been aggressive towards the new females but have been overly attentive. Tonight it was so severe my original flock refused to go to their original home and risked getting eaten by owls. They were extremely reluctant to be put back inside their home after 4 months of putting themselves up like clock work.

My concern is that my original flock has not been aggressive towards the new females but have been overly attentive. Tonight it was so severe my original flock refused to go to their original home and risked getting eaten by owls. They were extremely reluctant to be put back inside their home after 4 months of putting themselves up like clock work.
That's a good sign for easy introductions.

Back
Top Bottom