Guinea fowl .VS. Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayke563, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    I'm debating on whether to get Muscovy ducks or guineas what do u think I like them both but I don't have enough room for both so what one should I get Muscovy or Guinea thank u

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Do you have a purpose in mind for them?
    Guineas are going to be so very much louder than the muscovies.
    If you have neighbors near by, keep the noise in mind.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would agree, what do you want them for, I can't stand guineas, but like my muscovy ducks, they quietly patrol my yard for bugs, especially at night, I look out the window and there are ducks wandering around after bugs. The only downside is they can breed like rabbits, but I think guineas do too, and of course they are messy with the water. Very quiet.

4. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends what you want them for and where you live. Like guys before, I don't like the noise guineas make. Muscovies are quiet. Breed and brood their own young easily and taste delicious. Guineas will fly, make noise, but taste delicious too. Both of those species will eat a lot of insects. Ducks will make mud, Guineas are dry (like chickens).

5. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    I think I'm gonna go with Muscovy they are quiet they have more meat on them there eggs are bigger and they are cuter lol

6. macgro7

We had a Muscovy Drake for dinner last night lol
    He was fabulous

7. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    :(

8. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Same :(

I don't like how people can eat their ducks but I'm not one to tell anybody what to do

9. macgro7

They are ducks. Not dogs. Livestock not exactly pets. We treat them as pets but they would never be domesticated and you would never had them today if our ancestors wouldn't domesticated them and use them for farm animals - destined for the table. Same applies to turkeys and chickens. Why are rare breeds of turkeys disappearing? Because hardly anyone eats them!
    If people keep eating them they will become more popular and stop being rare breed. By eating them you save them.

10. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Well snap on me then.... Problems...

Mine are pets since they show as much love towards me as any other 'pet' sorry you haven't ever experienced that love in your birds but oh well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by