Guinea fowl

Anna Johnson

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
Hi,we have 10 wk old Guinea fowl and 1 of them seems to be having leg problems.when it lays down it spreads it's legs out and has a hard time getting back up and when it does it's walking fine,eating and drinking fine thought maybe hurt itself flying up on the roost.here,s a video to explain better.😔
20200811_175005.jpg

A video would help. What are you feeding them? If not provided a gamebird feed of at least 24% protein Guineas have big strong legs and need the extra protein as keets to help grow them. If you don't have access to gamebird feed, supplementing with some scrambled, or crumbled hard boiled egg could work in a pinch. Hope this helps! I am sure others will be along soon to advise.

Hi,we have 10 wk old Guinea fowl and 1 of them seems to be having leg problems.when it lays down it spreads it's legs out and has a hard time getting back up and when it does it's walking fine,eating and drinking fine thought maybe hurt itself flying up on the roost.here,s a video to explain better.😔View attachment 2288225
A video would help. What are you feeding them? If not provided a gamebird feed of at least 24% protein Guineas have big strong legs and need the extra protein as keets to help grow them. If you don't have access to gamebird feed, supplementing with some scrambled, or crumbled hard boiled egg could work in a pinch. Hope this helps! I am sure others will be along soon to advise.
We're feeding them turkey feed,suggested from our feed & need store,sorry couldn't post the video, wouldn't take it.they are outside in their run now and like I said it's just when it's laying down has a little bit of a hard time getting up,it's flying up on the roost in the coop.

We're feeding them turkey feed,suggested from our feed & need store,sorry couldn't post the video, wouldn't take it.they are outside in their run now and like I said it's just when it's laying down has a little bit of a hard time getting up,it's flying up on the roost in the coop.
In order to post a video, you have to first post it on a video hosting site such as YouTube (there are others). Once you have the URL for the video, you can paste it into the message box and BYC will automatically link to the video.

In order to post a video, you have to first post it on a video hosting site such as YouTube (there are others). Once you have the URL for the video, you can paste it into the message box and BYC will automatically link to the video.
They are being fed turkey starter 27 %protein

Feed doesn't seem to be the issue then. I'm afraid that was the extent of my knowledge on the matter. Post the vid, it will hep the pros diagnose.

Feed doesn't seem to be the issue then. I'm afraid that was the extent of my knowledge on the matter. Post the vid, it will hep the pros diagnose.
Thanks for the reply but I don't think this little one is gonna make it😔I think it may have hurt itself cause it cant stand and 1 wing is spread out when it's laying down,it stays in one spot,I'm not sure what to do,😔I picked it up last night I was trying to get it to stand but it couldn,t I'm heartbroken about this but I feel it's suffering😔

Thanks for the reply but I don't think this little one is gonna make it😔I think it may have hurt itself cause it cant stand and 1 wing is spread out when it's laying down,it stays in one spot,I'm not sure what to do,😔I picked it up last night I was trying to get it to stand but it couldn,t I'm heartbroken about this but I feel it's suffering😔
Sorry to hear that. If it can't stand and is sudffering it may be time to consider culling it. :(

Back
Top Bottom