Guinea fowl

If you killed it already then ok, I have done it a few times when I did not see any other way

But if you have not, I am thinking give it another chance?

At that age they can heal miraculously. I have a hen called Phoenix because I did not want to call her Gimpy and now she is not lame anymore so I am glad I did not call her anything based on the injury she had. She was also young when she had it.

Watch every day to see if things are getting worse fast or stay the same or give some improvement.

a little vet wrap tape to help the legs stay together (if splayed) has helped a few of my keets to the point where you can't tell now that they once had an issue - had to leave it on for 7 days or so - if you take it off too early and they splay again, just put some tape back on (you can find instructions on this web site, I am sure - vet wrap is wonderful as it sticks to itself and not the skin)

not sure what yours has

it seems older

if it is an injury it may heal

I would examine it to see if anything is broken or if there is pain

I know one woman who amputated a leg (she was a vet tech, I think) and her hen lives and had healthy keets

if your keet is not in danger from predators and the others don't bully it and it does not suffer a lot, I would give it some time

if it is already gone, then ok - like i said, I made that decision before, too, so I understand

Last edited:
My avatar is Forrest, Forrest Gump by the way

he has a completely crippled leg from the hock down and I have to trim his nails every so often

but he is 7 years old now and a happy camper

called him Forrest, Forrest Gump because we did try to help him with a leg brace early on - it did not work - but he ran like a champion, even with the brace - reminded me of the movie....

here is is free ranging - you should have seen him during the male chasing days when he was younger - he was racing over the ground like road runner, meep meep!! - swoosh!!!

Forrest.jpg

Last edited:

he has a completely crippled leg from the hock down and I have to trim his nails every so often

called him Forrest, Forrest Gump because we did try to help him with a leg brace early on - it did not work - but he ran like a champion, even with the brace - reminded me of the movie....

here is is free ranging - you should have seen him during the male chasing days when he was younger - he was racing over the ground like road runner, meep meep!! - swoosh!!!

View attachment 2291044
He’s a handsome guy - and so old! That’s so wonderful that you are able to protect him well enough to live to be that age.

Sounds like you did not see much hope, Anna

Hope you and the rest of the flock are alright either way
Yes, unfortunately we had to put this one down,the others were walking on him/her I gently tried to stand her up but there was no way and would push herself along to get to the feed and water😔they were pecking at it too,we now have 1 white,3 pearls their doing great,they have been free ranging for a week now and so far going in there coop at night,fingers crossed😉

View attachment 2291044
,,😊They are so funny to watch,luv the pic

If you killed it already then ok, I have done it a few times when I did not see any other way

But if you have not, I am thinking give it another chance?

At that age they can heal miraculously. I have a hen called Phoenix because I did not want to call her Gimpy and now she is not lame anymore so I am glad I did not call her anything based on the injury she had. She was also young when she had it.

Watch every day to see if things are getting worse fast or stay the same or give some improvement.

a little vet wrap tape to help the legs stay together (if splayed) has helped a few of my keets to the point where you can't tell now that they once had an issue - had to leave it on for 7 days or so - if you take it off too early and they splay again, just put some tape back on (you can find instructions on this web site, I am sure - vet wrap is wonderful as it sticks to itself and not the skin)

not sure what yours has

it seems older

if it is an injury it may heal

I would examine it to see if anything is broken or if there is pain

I know one woman who amputated a leg (she was a vet tech, I think) and her hen lives and had healthy keets

if your keet is not in danger from predators and the others don't bully it and it does not suffer a lot, I would give it some time

if it is already gone, then ok - like i said, I made that decision before, too, so I understand
Yes,they were bullying this one pecking,walking on him/her unfortunately we had to put it down,we have 4 left and free ranging for a week now,they r doing great,very entertaining to watch,😊

Back
Top Bottom