Guinea Fowl

jtbuck

Songster
14 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Florahome
Not sure where to post but I need to let my guinea's out . They are in a small pen and would like to let them out to roam, but not sure if they will come back. I live in the woods on 5 acres with lots of Turkey, Deer and Bears and who knows what else. I had Chickens and they always came back.
Suggestions Please
Thanks

I raised my guinea fowl with chickens so they followed the chickens to roost when I let mine out. I have read though to let out one at a time. So first few days let out one and keep the others in. Then let out that one and one more. This is said to keep them nearby and coming home. Maybe someone else that has done this will chime in with direct experience on this or a better way to do it.

@R2elk @Mixed flock enthusiast @Sydney65 @BennieAnTheJets and @My2butterflies are some that have posted things that helped me with my first guineas. This is the guinea fowl section of the forum. :)

Not sure where to post but I need to let my guinea's out . They are in a small pen and would like to let them out to roam, but not sure if they will come back. I live in the woods on 5 acres with lots of Turkey, Deer and Bears and who knows what else. I had Chickens and they always came back.
Suggestions Please
Thanks
Hi jtbuck, people do different things to train the guineas to roost in a coop at night, which is key to keeping them safe from predators. Because guineas are such creatures of habit, my preferred method is to pen the guineas with access to the door they will use to roost when free ranging. After they’ve put themselves to bed enough times, they make a habit of it. Then I open the pen door about 1-2 hr before sunset and stay out with them. They are very cautious at this age so they may not explore much, but that’s ok because my goal is for them to still find the door for bed. I extend the time out and eventually remove the pen. I also teach herding with a stick and my hands during this time. I’m around near dusk to make sure guineas get in the coop, and herd in if necessary. Other people use the method that AgnesGray mentioned, where only a few are let out, so they hopefully stay near the cooped birds and return at dusk.

Some things missing- how old are they, how long have you had them..
I think we all do basically the same with our own "style". Example, my 1st set of keets was raised inside. When I started taking them out, it was into a covered kennel I cld go in w/them, bc I wanted to maintain my "bond" w/them. They soon flew directly from their brooder to the kennel. From there we graduated to the outdoor coop. I didn't do one at a time, bc I was "the one". In other words, they stayed where I was. From there, they graduated to staying in the yards on their own...UNTIL the girls began nest building & egg laying. Then all bets were off, bc there was no controlling where they wanted to nest. Where ever they went, all the boys followed.
They each have their own wrist watch and knock on the back door when it's time to go in every afternoon. (Ok, the wrist watch was kind of a joke, 4pm every day, they do knock on the back door to return to the coop. I don't leave it open to keep out those who don't belong).
My last remaining female spent the rest of the season locked up. In the coop, in the run, in the kennel, but never free, & the boys stayed in the yard. Now that she has stopped laying, she stays in the yard and is allowed to roam free.
The 2nd set are 10 weeks old - and oh so different from my 1st set. But- there's only 2 of them, they stay together, and stay near the adults. So I did not release them one at a time, either. However, I am prepared that come next spring, they are females, so they too will be limited for their own safety.
So, bottom line is how you raise them & how protective you are of them.

Back
Top Bottom