guinea guest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DawnMarie, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DawnMarie

DawnMarie New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    Hello everyone! I'm a new member although I have been a voyer for some time! I have 7 chickens, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks and Orpingtons and one Golden laced Wyandotte.

This summer a male guinea adopted us. He had been dropped off at a farm down the road from us and was rejected by their flock. He stayed there one or two days then wandered into our yard and has stayed. I've tried to find him another home as the "farm" really doesn't want him back so he's kinda become my responsisblity. I haven't been successful so he's been here for about 2 months. I actually really enjoy him being around although he chases the kids and dogs more as he gets older. He comes to the back door every day to get fed and hangs out on the deck. He looks inside our coop during the day but won't sleep in it. He sleeps in the tree above it. He hangs out with my chickens during the day and watches over them.

I'm worried about him getting through the winter. I live in RI and we can get some pretty harsh weather. I'm wondering if he'll smarten up and go in the warm coop once it gets real cold or if I should try harder to place him in another home. Maybe he won't sleep in there for a reason? My coop has a fence around it (I free range during the day) but no netting on top to keep him in. When he does get "stuck" in there he freaks out until he flies himself out. Should I cover the run and force him to stay in there? I'm concerned as winter will be on us soon. I'm even more worried that he's happy where ever he is. Because of my neighborhood I can't buy him a mate. Maybe he'd be better off with some female guineas somewhere else? HELP?

Thank you, DawnMarie

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The same thing happened here several years ago. We were adopted by a male guinea fowl. He too refused to enter/sleep in the coop. I have several large white pines and they were his favorite roosting place. Every morning he would perch on the deck railing and screech until I came outside and fed him. Somehow the GHO never found him, but after 3 or 4 years a red fox finally caught him. I'm in NJ so we share similar weather; therefore, I doubt that weather conditions will be a problem - the predators, that's another story.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. My guineas were never fans on coming into the coop either.

4. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and greetings from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Welcome to BYC

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DawnMarie, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I have no advice regarding guinea behavior but I hope he wises up and buddies up with the chickens! Good luck to you!

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    our guineas are only 10 weeks old and we still got 2 more weeks till we can let them out to run free. so were still in the learning stage.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. You can also post in the Guinea Fowl section on the Forum page. You might be able to hook up with someone there for advice. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by