Guinea hen has babies by Immaculate conception

RedheadErin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
Either that or she got hold of some EE eggs somewhere. Either way, my one lone guinea hen is the proud mama of 4 adorable yellow chicks. She deserves it. She sat on her nest all last summer and half this summer with her poor little dud eggs. Good for her!

Your rooster can breed and fertilize your Guinea Hen, and the Hen will hatch out hybrids... but if the "keets" are yellow then it sounds like she hatched out chicks from one of your chicken Hens' eggs, not hybrids.

We need pics!

She is more than half wild, and I rarely see her. What would a guinea/leghorn cross look like?

You can find pictures online if you do a search for "Guin-hens" or simply "Guinea and chicken hybrids". Finding someone who has a picture on hand might be difficult. Now that I've said that, 10 people will post 'em LOL.

I couldnt find much, but what I did find wasnt too hopeful. According to the one site I found, they will die young, possibly not even grow to adulthood. Very depressing. I hope they are chickens.

I will try to send some pics. The chicks were fuzzy and yellow with a dirty-grey tint. They are growing slowly, seem to be lagging behind other chicks the same age. Regardless of what anyone says, my Louise is a great mother! She leads the chicks all around the yard and talks to them constantly. She always keeps them within a few feet of her, and almost always in a straight line. Sometimes she lines them up on a windowsill and seems to be inspecting them. It reminds me of a tiny military operation. If she was a person, she would be one of those "tiger mothers" who plans out every detail of their kids life, down to the tiniest thing!

I forogt to add, my son got a dog and Louise immediately told the dog who was boss as far as her kids are concerned. She ran and hissed at him the forst day, and now the dog is aftaind of her.

Last edited:
Horray for Louise!! I'm glad she was able to hatch some babies out - even though she might be an adoptive mama!!! I have a chicken sitting on some guinea eggs now.....she was determined to hatch something out (even though I don't have a rooster).....so I thought I'd give her a chance with some fertile eggs. Not sure how things will all come about if/when she hatches them out.....but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best! Can't wait to see your pictures!!

Back
Top Bottom