Guinea Hen in Wisconsin Winter

tkenglert

Hatching
Jan 10, 2016
Last month we had a single Guinea Hen show up in our yard, which is located in a sub division, here in Central Wisconsin.

I started to feed it & am now providing water, that is heated. This Guinea Hen has been roosting in a large pine we have in our yard & also on a ledge under our bedroom windows.

My question is, how hardy are Guinea Hens & can they survive a Frigid Wisconsin Winter? Today we have a high of 2 Degrees., with below zero temps at night.

Last month we had a single Guinea Hen show up in our yard,  which is located in a sub division,  here in Central Wisconsin.

I started to feed it & am now providing water,   that is heated.   This Guinea Hen has been roosting in a large pine we have in our yard & also on a ledge under our bedroom windows.

My question is,  how hardy are Guinea Hens & can they survive a Frigid Wisconsin Winter?   Today we have a high of 2 Degrees.,  with below zero temps at night.

Keep feeding and watering, but I have doubts that she will survive OUR winters roosting in a tree. If you can, get her to roost in a building at night. Guineas can survive Wisconsin winters as I raised them for many years.

Last edited:
Thank You for the advice.

My Guinea Hen is doing well, she has been sleeping in a large pine tree that is right next to our house & seems to be doing well. I continue to provide food & water & really loves the sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. I do not have a building for her to roost in. During the day she roosts on a ledge right under our bedroom window, She is a interesting bird.

Thank You for the advice.

My Guinea Hen is doing well, she has been sleeping in a large pine tree that is right next to our house & seems to be doing well. I continue to provide food & water & really loves the sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. I do not have a building for her to roost in. During the day she roosts on a ledge right under our bedroom window, She is a interesting bird.
So far our winter has been pretty mild compared to other years; lucky for the bird. Providing her with ample food will help her fight the cold. Is it a male or female?

My Daughter looked online & she thinks it is a Female. Am Happy it is making it through the winter. Pretty cool bird, have no idea where it could of come from. We are miles from anyone who might have them. She has been eating sunflower seeds & I bought a high protein turkey pellet food.

she is staying pretty much in our yard during the day & sleeping in the big pine in our yard.

I appreciate you speaking with me about her

I have a adult female guinea hen that has been hanging around my yard in northern Wisconsin, since October. we have been providing food & water & she has been sleeping in a big red pine on the side of our house.

we are miles from the country, so not sure where she came from, feel bad that she is all alone

My Guineans survive the negative numbers here in Michigan with no heat lamps. The wind exposure might get the best of her though if she doesn't have a place to get into

My Daughter looked online & she thinks it is a Female. Am Happy it is making it through the winter. Pretty cool bird, have no idea where it could of come from. We are miles from anyone who might have them. She has been eating sunflower seeds & I bought a high protein turkey pellet food.

she is staying pretty much in our yard during the day & sleeping in the big pine in our yard.

I appreciate you speaking with me about her
Yes. They are cool birds. If I were in the country I'd have some. Maybe in the spring as we are moving-hopefully to the country. It's really cold today. I hope your bird found shelter in that pine.

My Guinea Hen is roosting in the large pine by our bedroom window, weather is suppose to start warming up, this Monday.

Am hoping that she makes it through this cold snap.

My wife has named her now, so I guess we have adopted her.

Back
Top Bottom