Guinea Hen in Wisconsin Winter

so far she has been doing pretty good, thankful that it is going to start to warm up next week.

weekend is suppose to be bitter cold here in Wisconsin, hopefully she makes it.

My Guinea Hen is roosting in the large pine by our bedroom window, weather is suppose to start warming up, this Monday.

Am hoping that she makes it through this cold snap.

My wife has named her now, so I guess we have adopted her.
Name?????

The sun is getting higher in the sky and daylight is getting longer. Barring another really cold snap guinea should be fine.

so far she has been doing pretty good, thankful that it is going to start to warm up next week.

weekend is suppose to be bitter cold here in Wisconsin, hopefully she makes it.
As long as the cold doesn't last too long and she has plenty to eat, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

I have been feeding her, black sunflowers seeds along with a high protein turkey pellet, that was recommended to me by the feed store.

Am still baffled at where she could of come from, no farms, within two miles of my house.

Our Guinea Hen's name is Frieda, we named her after a older German Lady that we know.

that is a picture of her, sitting on a ledge, right outside our bedroom window.

She spends most of her days, sitting on the ledge or eating out of our bird feeder.

we get a lot of enjoyment, watching her.

I have been feeding her, black sunflowers seeds along with a high protein turkey pellet, that was recommended to me by the feed store.

Am still baffled at where she could of come from, no farms, within two miles of my house.
Guineas wander far and wide. And, unfortunately, many birds are dropped off because the owner doesn't want the noise and mess anymore.
I have found many a bird on my doorstep and its not unusual to receive a call from people who have found a bird.

so I am tkenglert's daughter and my grandpa gave gave me the idea to try to train frieda so I am woundering if i could train her. what i have started to do is when frieda sits on the front ledge i will go outside with bread i will walk extreamly slow and not say a word i slowly make my way over to were she sits by the time i get to where she sits for the day she is at the other end of the ledge but she watches me i then but the bread down and walk away i figured i do this for a while so she gets used to me then once shes used to me being there i add my voice my goal would be to get her to be able to get her to eat out of my hand. i do however worry about scaring her i don't want her to leave our house if she does she will end up in a yard that will kill her and i will feel horrible. so i guess I'm just woundering if what I'm doing is a yey or nay and if training her is even at all possible.

so I am tkenglert's daughter and my grandpa gave gave me the idea to try to train frieda so I am woundering if i could train her. what i have started to do is when frieda sits on the front ledge i will go outside with bread i will walk extreamly slow and not say a word i slowly make my way over to were she sits by the time i get to where she sits for the day she is at the other end of the ledge but she watches me i then but the bread down and walk away i figured i do this for a while so she gets used to me then once shes used to me being there i add my voice my goal would be to get her to be able to get her to eat out of my hand. i do however worry about scaring her i don't want her to leave our house if she does she will end up in a yard that will kill her and i will feel horrible. so i guess I'm just woundering if what I'm doing is a yey or nay and if training her is even at all possible.

With patience this may work; a lot depends on how used to people the hen is. Be slow and watch her behavior closely. Back away should she become startled/fearful. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom