GUINEA HEN NEST QUESTION!!! PLEASE ANSWER THIS POST! I NEED SOME HELP!

featheredfriendlover

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
hello everyone. i have a pearl grey guinea hen who had a nest in late april early may. well she had 30-40 eggs in that nest and something got them. well just about 3 days ago i figured out she had another nest about 50 yards down a hill from her other nest. well 3 days ago she had 20 eggs in it. well this morning june 14 about 20 minutes ago i went down to her nest to check on it.
sad.png
something got to the nest and ate all but 7 eggs. so i took the seven eggs and took them into the coop. there sitting on a counter type thing in my coop until i can figure out something to do with them. should i let a broody hen hatch them ( see her below)

chickens004.jpg

or should i put them in an incubator.

if i put them in the incubator any good advice you could give me about incubating guinea eggs would be great.

also if she lays another nest what can i do to help her keep that nest safe? like any kind of barrier?

I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would let the broody hatch them. I had a hen hatch a dozen last month. I also have two incubators going that are full of guinea eggs. I prefer the hen method but you cant turn the hen on/off.

Miss Prissy has more experience hatching guinea eggs than I do. I have found that keeping the humidity higher thru out the hatch 40/50% gets me better results.

The hen will lay another nest. I don't know about a barrier to protect the eggs. It might cause the hen to just move and start another nest. You could try removing the eggs and placing "faux" eggs in their place. Keeping checking the nest every day or so and taking the good eggs out. When you get a dozen or so, set them under the broody hen.

Would be nice if the faux eggs would make that predator look elsewhere for a meal. The only time I have lots eggs in a nest was when the birds layed by the railroad tracks. It is safer when they nest in the trees/grass around the yard.

Good luck! Wish you the best of luck

I'd try the broody or an incubator. I've found about 5 guinea nests with many many eggs and for the most part they'll sit a few days then give up, but mine are less than a year old so maybe they aren't ready yet.

I've been using the low humidity method in the incubator since my first hatch using the regular methods was a disaster. I've got more dark eggs this go around but I really really up the humidity in the hatcher since I've noticed the membranes on the keets seem to dry out fast.

thanks everyone. i put them under the big hen and under a black silkie hen. the big hen is sitting on 5 and the silkie is sitting on 3.

Back
Top Bottom