blackfishfin

Chirping
May 16, 2019
So, I noticed that one of the guineas was acting funny. She kept going back to the house and sitting in there and was really only coming out for food and stuff. There were no eggs, though, so I didn't think anything of it. After getting home today, I found a guinea egg. It's too large to be a bannie chicken egg and it's white. It also is shaped like a teardrop. I put it in front of the funny acting guineas and one of them rolled it under her and sat on it. When she got off later, a different guinea rolled the egg and sat on it as well. There is literally only one egg. It's also in a nest of hay that the guineas/chickens made. Should I remove it or leave it to the guineas?

I also accidentally posted this as an article, so if someone could tell me how to delete it, it would be really helpful.

Update! There's more eggs. ALL the guinea hens are laying in that single nesting box. What do I do?
Do whatever you want to do. If you have a nearly equal amount of cocks and hens, the eggs are likely to be fertile. You can collect the eggs for eating or incubating. If you collect the eggs, either mark some so that you can identify them and leave them in the nest or put some fake eggs in the nest. If you take all the eggs and leave an empty nest, it will not be long before they abandon the nest and find a more hidden place to lay their eggs.

If you want them to hatch the eggs and the nest is in a predator proof place, just leave them. It is likely that at least a couple of the hens will go broody eventually.

Do whatever you want to do. If you have a nearly equal amount of cocks and hens, the eggs are likely to be fertile. You can collect the eggs for eating or incubating. If you collect the eggs, either mark some so that you can identify them and leave them in the nest or put some fake eggs in the nest. If you take all the eggs and leave an empty nest, it will not be long before they abandon the nest and find a more hidden place to lay their eggs.

If you want them to hatch the eggs and the nest is in a predator proof place, just leave them. It is likely that at least a couple of the hens will go broody eventually.
Thanks for the response! We now have more eggs and they're likely to be fertile. We have two male guineas and three females. I am super excited! I'm planning on removing the chicks if they hatch and putting them inside so that they can't die.

Back
Top Bottom