guinea hens

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I just got two guinea hens almost a year old. Male and female. I put them in the enclosure and all they do is run back and forth along the fence line...they have been doing this for over an hour. Is there a certain way to introduce them to a new home?

Last edited:
The correct term is guinea fowl, guinea hen refers to the female. When guinea fowl are moved to any new environment they will fence walk/run. Once they get used to the new surroundings they should be fine, Ive found it usually takes a week. Keep the food and water close so they can find it easily.

Thank you.. the shelter and food and water are behind them in the last picture. I tried to show them where it was and they went ballistic..

Are these your first guineas? They are very independent/wild birds. They can be tamed to a certain degree if you put a lot of hard work from when the were keets. They are very weird animals but very enteraining and once you get used to their noise its just a normal sound. They will wonder aimlessly around for a bit until they know that is their new home, may take a few weeks to get used to you and your surroundings. After that you can let them free range if you want to and they should return to the coop, but be aware if you have any nice trees by the coop they may start roosting in those.

Yes, these are my first guineas, they were at another home free ranging. I have goats, chickens and ducks. I put these guineas in a separate area until they get used to my place. I did clip their wings, but they still seem to be able to fly. The netting is stopping them from going anywhere. I'm in the desert LOL no trees...their job is to kill rattlesnakes and keep varmets out of my property. I hope they don't hurt my roosters and hens.

my neighbor just lost two of her goats to rattlesnakes and I have already found 2 on my property..
Are these your first guineas? They are very independent/wild birds. They can be tamed to a certain degree if you put a lot of hard work from when the were keets. They are very weird animals but very enteraining and once you get used to their noise its just a normal sound. They will wonder aimlessly around for a bit until they know that is their new home, may take a few weeks to get used to you and your surroundings. After that you can let them free range if you want to and they should return to the coop, but be aware if you have any nice trees by the coop they may start roosting in those.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with guineas and other poultry. They tend to keep to them selves and if anything the turkeys and chickens bully the guineas. Yeah forgot about the tree roosting! I just gave up clipping wings and just let everything fly where ever it likes, but I do have a seperate enclosed yard for my red eyed guineas whom have bad eyesight and would be killed by predators within seconds if let out. I have around 100 guineas and dont often see snakes and thats probably because there us so many, so I dont know how your 2 guineas will go with rattlesnakes and other unwanted pests.

I have never had a problem with guineas and other poultry. They tend to keep to them selves and if anything the turkeys and chickens bully the guineas. Yeah forgot about the tree roosting! I just gave up clipping wings and just let everything fly where ever it likes, but I do have a seperate enclosed yard for my red eyed guineas whom have bad eyesight and would be killed by predators within seconds if let out. I have around 100 guineas and dont often see snakes and thats probably because there us so many, so I dont know how your 2 guineas will go with rattlesnakes and other unwanted pests.

They will definitely go to the food and water when you're not there, they just need to settle. I had a guinea hen that hurt her foot so when I caught her she wasnt very happy, paced along the smaller cage for 3 days trying to get back to the flock. Once she realised she wasnt going back until healed she settled down. If the people you got them from had chickens they should be able to fit in well with your flock, if they didnt introductions may take longer. In one yard I have turkeys and guineas together, the turkeys are let out to free range 2-3 times a week because they tend not to fly over the fences whereas the guineas choose whether they want to or not by simply flying over the fence and flying back in at night to either roost in a tree and with the turkeys in a shed. Some days all of the guineas will be free ranging so it gets pretty loud, other days only 2/3. If you dont have large predators that will take a guinea leave the door open. I dont know what you mean by sleep down like chickens?

They will roost at night and make warning noises through the night, wont protect. Once they settle they will start being loud. Are you sure you have a male and female?
Rain and water is fine, mine will stay out in light rain but if its pouring down they will find shelter. I have seen them chase anything small and moving around them, I have seen them chasing mice I dont know if they have ever caught one.

Back
Top Bottom