Guinea in the chicken coop!

ChcknLady

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Western Pa
Ok my lonely female guinea has taken to sleeping with the chickens (every night on her own!) All is well and fine right? For now! Whats happens when the 15 keets move outside with her? Will she take them into the chicken coop or will they convince her to stay in the guinea pen at night? They will be in the pen for awhile before they are allowed to free range with her.

Hard to say, and as long as they're not overcrowded or fighting in whatever coop they end up in, it should all be fine.

We have two chickens that choose to sleep in the guinea coop. For a while we carried them out to the "correct" coop each night and then just decided that was silly. Very occasionally, a non-nesting guinea will spend the night in the chicken coop, and our only guinea nest so far was brooded in the chicken coop. As long as nobody gets hurt, I don't worry about it any more.

The problem is there isn't enough room in the chicken coop for 16 guineas and the chickens can't fly out to get into the guinea pen like the guineas can. I'm concerned the guineas will kick the chickens out and the chickens won't have anywhere to go!

I say it is fine if they are not fighting with the chickens. Mine are the same. Thy will be out free ranging and at night all of them will roost in the chicken coop. Enjoy your birds.

Back
Top Bottom