Guinea Keet Saga :)

CozyFanatic

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2015
East Tennessee
Help! I have one baby guinea that is 3 days old and it's gone inside my house! I have turned the house upside down and haven't found it yet. I wonder if it's gonna make a sound or not after awhile? It's been gone about 4 hours and no luck yet! Any help appreciated!

Where are the other keets? I can't remember how much my 3 day olds "called" to each other, but if you put the other keets somewhere where the lost keet can hear their chatter he may come out or at least call. I remember how small they are though so be very careful that it isn't trapped/stuck somewhere. Instead of frantically looking, in which case you could inadvertently injure it) just sit in the room where it was lost (or the room closest) and look around. Think about the first place the bird may have wedged itself (that is generally how my keets react to fleeing - wedging themselves behind or in something)

Leave out fresh food and water. Measure how much food you put out and check every so often if it has even been nibbled on. Also, try putting treats around or in the desired place of your guinea pig.

It's the only one I hatched. In an incubator. I bought some grown guineas at a flea market and the man just gave me an egg that he'd found in the cages of the ones he'd sold.
I have looked all over. I had it in a small box with a heat bulb over it and it was getting tame, but it would chirp all the time when I talked to it. And I thought it was tame enough that it would make at least a sound or something!
I have moved all the things around in my bedroom, and I have been careful to not hurt it, but I just can't find it.
I know it couldn't have gotten outside, no cats inside....just can't figure it out!

Being that it is so small it will be difficult to find. I would look everywhere, including inside of shoes and such. Its very possible that it is moving when you are not looking. Tonight you could try putting a heat lamp where he can access it if he gets cold, along with a little food and water. Best if its a red light. Or, turn off all of the lights in the room so it is dark and search for it with a flashlight. My guineas don't flee as much when its dark since they can't see. This may also help you spotlight it, since sometimes when you are looking at the big picture its hard to see the details, so to speak, and it could be that at one point it was right in front of your eyes and you didn't notice it because of other items in your field of vision.

Thanks, SunHwaKwon, I'm gonna try that flashlight thing! I put out plates with food and water and made patterns in the food so I can tell if it gets in them. Hopefully today it will venture out to try to find food and water!
I was so hoping it would make a chirp! I even got on youtube and played videos with baby guineas chirping!
I am so depressed that I just can't find it! Poor baby!

The baby came out tonight! I think it had been under the kitchen stove! It was so cold! I tried to feed it, but it is really weak. I gave it a few drops of water/vitamins and electrolytes and put it in a warm cloth and put it back in the incubator.

Anyone have any suggestions about what to do? I don't want to overwhelm it, by trying to force feed it, and I figured getting it warm would be good.

Thanks,
Anne

Back
Top Bottom