Guinea keet with broken toe?!

libarena

Songster
Jul 15, 2018
Nashville, TN
36A02DF9-67BE-4F4E-95AA-C576E9C96100.jpeg
E5B929A9-5E66-417D-960A-F14188716625.jpeg
After the transfer from the brooder to the coop, one of my guinea keets seems to have injured his foot. I wasn’t home when they moved them and my mum said that maybe she wasn’t as gentle as she could have been. :barnie He is my favourite keet (of course) and has already worked through a splayed leg. He is definitely a fighter and seems unfazed by it all. Even when i grabbed him for the pictures, he just looked at me like he had 100% trust in me.

Anyways, he is getting around okay despite having a pretty bad limp. He’s eating and drinking and keeping up with everyone but his foot just doesn’t look that good. What do you think I should do? Leave him be? Try and splint it?

Attachments

• 75B2CFAD-CDBB-473B-88ED-898C98F4801E.jpeg
    75B2CFAD-CDBB-473B-88ED-898C98F4801E.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
View attachment 1886927 View attachment 1886919 After the transfer from the brooder to the coop, one of my guinea keets seems to have injured his foot. I wasn’t home when they moved them and my mum said that maybe she wasn’t as gentle as she could have been. :barnie He is my favourite keet (of course) and has already worked through a splayed leg. He is definitely a fighter and seems unfazed by it all. Even when i grabbed him for the pictures, he just looked at me like he had 100% trust in me.

Anyways, he is getting around okay despite having a pretty bad limp. He’s eating and drinking and keeping up with everyone but his foot just doesn’t look that good. What do you think I should do? Leave him be? Try and splint it?
Your keet will survive this injury. Once the injury stops hurting, it should stop limping. If it was mine, I would not do anything about it. Guineas are always hurting each other and themselves.

Good luck.

Your keet will survive this injury. Once the injury stops hurting, it should stop limping. If it was mine, I would not do anything about it. Guineas are always hurting each other and themselves.

Good luck.

Thank you!! As you probably can tell from my other threads, I am a bit of a worry wort!

Good luck.
Now I am wondering if it’s in his elbow/knee. There is some swelling there. He hops around and turns his entire foot inward to help him. He still gets around with everyone and eats and drinks but he looks in pain and it’s been really bothering me.

Could it have anything to do with his splayed leg?

6769138D-6E65-4ACD-8FF1-2463F2E299AD.jpeg
CF10A517-6FB4-4E92-B2C7-FBDFC68AE248.jpeg

Now I am wondering if it’s in his elbow/knee. There is some swelling there. He hops around and turns his entire foot inward to help him. He still gets around with everyone and eats and drinks but he looks in pain and it’s been really bothering me.

Could it have anything to do with his splayed leg?

View attachment 1890627 View attachment 1890628
Possibly perosis. Treat with vitamin B complex made at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Do not add anything else to the water and make it the only source of water. It will be beneficial for all of the keets and should be made fresh daily.

Possibly perosis. Treat with vitamin B complex made at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Do not add anything else to the water and make it the only source of water. It will be beneficial for all of the keets and should be made fresh daily.
Okay, I have started that! Hopefully it helps. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help!

How’s your birdie? Mine is having a similar problem, and I am at odds whether I should do anything about it. For now we are soaking feet in comfrey tea and epsom salt periodically, but the limping didn’t go away

Attachments

• 77EE176B-A376-4F85-A40B-8F6CAAE22DB4.jpeg
    77EE176B-A376-4F85-A40B-8F6CAAE22DB4.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom