Guinea keets arriving next week....aaaccckkk!

HunniB

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 17, 2009
MidCoast Maine
So, we have raised chickens (bantams, Ameraucanas & Barred rocks) for eggs, although we no longer have any, and turkeys for autumn slaughter. Now, we have decided to get some guinea fowl to help us try and reduce our major tick problem. We live in mid-coast Maine and the ticks have been really bad this year.

We have the turkeys in a electrified poultry fenced (200 feet of fencing) area (they are a little less than two months old). They have a three sided flat roofed shelter about 4 feet high, that we close up at night with an old screen door (on its side) along the open front.

We are trying to figure out how to keep our guinea fowl once they are outside. We have the old chicken coop which isn't in the best of shape, but has a roof and roosting bars. We would ultimately like the guineas to have as much space to roam and eat ticks as possible, but don't think we want them to totally free range - neighbors, road, predators, etc.

My questions are:

1) Would the be OK if they were in the same electrified area as the turkeys? I am thinking probably not from what I have read here, but wanted to ask.

2) It seems that they need to be trained to go into a shelter at night. How difficult is that to do and will they use the roosts if we use the old chicken coop? Or, should we consider some other type of shelter, but we want to spend the least amount of money as possible at the moment.

Sorry to be so long with this, but I wanted to give as much background as I could think might be relevant.

Thanks!

First and foremost, please know that I have never raised Guinea fowl!! I offer my "best effort" opinion ;)
Our neighbors used to raise Guinea fowl and oh boy, did we enjoy them. That were about a quarter mile up the dirt road, and every evening, they would cruise over as a big flock and entertain us with their constant bug-hunting abilities! They seemed to be kept in a large outdoor coop, which was not very secure. They were hardy little buggers and faired the dirt road, the desert, and the local predators very well. They were around for years until the neighbors moved away. I secretly wanted to lure some over to my place to stay, they were so cool! Good luck:thumbsup

If you raise your keets with some chicks, the chickens will teach them to return to the roost at night. If you don't let them free range, how will they take care of your ticks?

So, we have raised chickens (bantams, Ameraucanas & Barred rocks) for eggs, although we no longer have any, and turkeys for autumn slaughter. Now, we have decided to get some guinea fowl to help us try and reduce our major tick problem. We live in mid-coast Maine and the ticks have been really bad this year.

We have the turkeys in a electrified poultry fenced (200 feet of fencing) area (they are a little less than two months old). They have a three sided flat roofed shelter about 4 feet high, that we close up at night with an old screen door (on its side) along the open front.

We are trying to figure out how to keep our guinea fowl once they are outside. We have the old chicken coop which isn't in the best of shape, but has a roof and roosting bars. We would ultimately like the guineas to have as much space to roam and eat ticks as possible, but don't think we want them to totally free range - neighbors, road, predators, etc.

My questions are:

1) Would the be OK if they were in the same electrified area as the turkeys? I am thinking probably not from what I have read here, but wanted to ask.

2) It seems that they need to be trained to go into a shelter at night. How difficult is that to do and will they use the roosts if we use the old chicken coop? Or, should we consider some other type of shelter, but we want to spend the least amount of money as possible at the moment.

Sorry to be so long with this, but I wanted to give as much background as I could think might be relevant.

Thanks!

Yay! Welcome to the world of guineas. FYI - we don't own guineas, they own us! I'll share my situation with you as I respond to your questions. That way, you'll know if it's information you'll want to use or not.

I love Maine. We often vacation along the southern coast. I would guess that your winters are similar to ours in Central NY, but perhaps a bit less snow.

In the spring I had a flock of 12 that free ranged. They traveled about 1/4 mile radius from their coop/barn. They crossed the road, visited neighbors, ate ticks and bugs and were very happy - until the fox decided they were easy pickings to feed its young. We had problems with a coyote in the fall. I had mostly Jumbo French guineas and I think because of their size, lack of flying ability and less wary nature, they were more vulnerable. I'm in the process of changing over to regular domestics.

One guinea will clear an acre of land for you. More is fine and is better since they are VERY flock oriented. I know some people only have a few and it seems to work for them, but on our 10 acres, I like to keep a minimum of 12. They start to fall apart as a flock when there are fewer than 10 and they really notice when they lose a member.

You will have to coop them - I have found that at least for a month - so they know where home is. We have a covered run attached to our coop and they are able to see their surroundings. When I first started free ranging, I let about 1/2 out at a time. They didn't go far and did come back to be with the rest of the flock. I also only let them out for about 2 hours and put them back in an hour before sunset, and then gradually increased the time until they were free ranging all day. I also trained them with a bell and millet to get them back to the coop an hour before sunset each night. For the most part, I never had the issue of them wanting to roost in trees, because they were always in and locked up before sundown.

We just installed an electric fence - about 200 feet as well - 48 inches high. The chickens behave and stay in the area. At this point, I only have one male guinea in the area - I have a male and female in our barn, 19 keets that are 6 weeks old and 20 keets that are 1 week old. My male Jumbo French who really can't fly, stays in when he wants to and gets out when he wants to. I don't worry about it since he doesn't go very far and I bring him in through the opening with the bell and millet when he's out.

I don't know how the regular domestics will respond to the fence. I am guessing, they will do the same. Fly over it when they want to and stay in when they want to. Guineas are fliers and I've seen my neighbor's fly over small trees and up to a one story roof.

I don't have experience keeping them with turkeys, but a friend of mine does and it works for her. The only issue she has is that the guineas like to herd, chase and pull the tail feathers on the turkeys.

As far as a shelter, an old chicken coop with roosts should work, it just depends on the size and number of guineas you plan to have. About 4 square feet per bird will keep them from being too aggressive. Since mine are in during the deep snow of winter - I usually have about double that amount per bird. This winter, it will be a bit tighter since I'm planning to keep a bigger flock now. They should use the chicken roosts. Most will say they like to go up high and they do, but it's not necessary. In fact, I like to keep them a bit lower so they aren't prone to bumble foot and I can reach them to administer medication at night. If they're up in the rafters, that's a bit hard to do unless you have a cherry picker.

I hope this addresses the concerns and questions you mentioned. If you have any more, feel free to post. Summer is a bit tough since we're all dealing with keets or new flocks, but sooner or later, someone will get back to you. Good luck and I hope this works out for you. I never planned on getting guineas or poultry of any kind and I have to say after getting my guineas last year with the sole purpose of working as free range tick eaters, I fell in love with them. They really are unique and very entertaining.

My questions are:

Thanks!

Ive always raised keets with chicks. They free range and return to roost with the chickens. I've been led to believe guineas raised with chickens are better behaved/ more docile than being raised by themselves but I don't actually know. I'm interested to learn this however because I'm considering trying to hatch some guineas soon and not sure i really want more chicks this time.

I have little knowledge of turkeys. Hopefully that'll change next year.
The old chicken coop would be a good home base to train them to. Hopefully it has a run with a top on it for the training part.

Oh my gosh - I love this forum - thank you all for the input. I know once they arrive I can guarantee I will have more questions, but I at least feel like I am on my way. Thanks to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom