Guinea keets with "curly toe"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Okie Amazon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Songster

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I just noticed that a couple of my keets (6 wks old) have bent toes. One is actually having a little difficulty walking. They are being raised just the way I have all the previous keets; game bird starter a small amount of scratch grains and some fine grit and vegetables/pasta whatever from the table. Any ideas as to cause and more importantly, the cure?

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper 9 Years

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well I'm not sure of what the cause is, I was just getting ready to do some research on it. I have a Silkie who just hatched out yesterday and his longer toe is curling causing him to fall backwards and not able to get back up. So I did some searching and found someone who made a boot. What i did was got some cardboard, i just a cigarette pack, one end is flat and rounded off the other end making a half oval shape, I put that on the bottom of my Silkies foot then I took three of his toes and laid it on the cardboard positioning them like they are suppose to be as if he didn't have the curly toes. Then I put a bandaid on the top of his toes to hold them down onto the cardboard. OH I also had the bandaid the same shape as the cardboard...

Here's where I got the idea and you can see the consept...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112

3. Phenomenon

Phenomenon In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    One of our girls has a bent toe. She actually had it when we bought her at 14 weeks. Apparantly there are several causes, fortunately she has no problem perching or walking so I guess it's just one of those things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by