Guinea keets with "curly toe"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Okie Amazon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I just noticed that a couple of my keets (6 wks old) have bent toes. One is actually having a little difficulty walking. They are being raised just the way I have all the previous keets; game bird starter a small amount of scratch grains and some fine grit and vegetables/pasta whatever from the table. Any ideas as to cause and more importantly, the cure?

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well I'm not sure of what the cause is, I was just getting ready to do some research on it. I have a Silkie who just hatched out yesterday and his longer toe is curling causing him to fall backwards and not able to get back up. So I did some searching and found someone who made a boot. What i did was got some cardboard, i just a cigarette pack, one end is flat and rounded off the other end making a half oval shape, I put that on the bottom of my Silkies foot then I took three of his toes and laid it on the cardboard positioning them like they are suppose to be as if he didn't have the curly toes. Then I put a bandaid on the top of his toes to hold them down onto the cardboard. OH I also had the bandaid the same shape as the cardboard...

Here's where I got the idea and you can see the consept...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112

3. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    One of our girls has a bent toe. She actually had it when we bought her at 14 weeks. Apparantly there are several causes, fortunately she has no problem perching or walking so I guess it's just one of those things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by