Guinea laying question

HoldensLandingChickGirl

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Northwest Connecticut
We have two guineas that are laying; one lays brown eggs, the other white eggs. I can't for the life of me figure out which is laying which eggs - one is a lavender and the other is a pearl - anyone know which would lay which egg? They both started laying, the brown egg layer about 2 weeks ago and the white egg layer about a week and a half ago. The white egg layer laid two eggs ... then nothing. It's been a week with no more eggs. They are confined at the moment because we have to fix the outdoor fencing so I know she's not laying elsewhere. Should I be worried, or is this normal? They are both in great spirits, eating, running/flying around, making lots of noise, so it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong (i'm thinking it is a combination of the fact that she is young/just started laying, and also that they are cooped up now). Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Quote:
LOL that's a great idea.. but funny at the same time, lol.

Typically in my flocks the darker colored birds lay the darker pigmented eggs. My White Hen lays pure white eggs.

It's pretty close to the end of the laying season for most Guinea Hens (depending on your weather, but mostly the shorter daylight hours triggers the Hens to stop laying and go thru a moult), so they may have been laying outdoors somewhere, but have recently stopped for the year. Young Hens typically have no clue what they are doing when they lay their first few eggs, but if you let them out, hang back and watch where they go, they may lead you to a full nest (if predators have not taken the eggs).

Guineas typically start laying at around 16 wks old, but some start a little earlier, depending on what time of the year (and laying season) they mature to that age at. You may see a few more eggs, and even eggs off and on thru winter, but come Springtime they should lay an egg a day for you, skip a day every now and then, and lay all they way til Fall. If you haven't done so already, it's a good idea to provide a layer feed and oyster shell free choice to them so they don't have to pull the calcium from their bones to produce the eggs.

he.gif
My Guinea's are 5 months old and have not laid one darn egg.
rant.gif
smack.gif
to them. Yes I am jealous.
lau.gif
UUUUGGGHHH. I hope you figure it out. Congratulations on your birds laying.
thumbsup.gif
(I am just picking on you. Sorry. I have a sick sense of humor.
gig.gif
)

Quote:
I feel for you - my chickens are 6 months old and only 1 out of the bunch is laying. We call them our little freeloaders, lol. The one who *is8* laying just started to lay last week. The guineas are 2 full months younger and started laying first, lol.

Quote:
You'll be flooded with eggs next spring terri, patience grass hoppa lol. (Bet you will have to buy another incubator to keep up with them!). How many buck-wheaters do you have?

I was going to start a new topic to ask about guinea laying behaviour, but thought I would tack it on here if that's OK!

We're just coming into the laying season down here in the southern hemisphere. We got 6 guineas back in June, kept them in their coop and run for three months and let them out about 4 weeks ago. We let them out at about 9am to free range until approx 5:30pm when they come back for their nightly feed. We're only on 2.5 acres but have another 5 acre paddock behind us where they have been exploring. I am concerned that the two hens will start laying further afield, won't return and get attacked by predators (foxes are our problem) if one gets broody.

Do guineas generally lay earlier in the morning? I don't want to keep the hens locked up in the run for the whole day as it is only 20ft x 20ft. Would we get the hens to lay in the run if we kept them in until, say, 11am? Or do they lay at any time of the day/night?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom