Guinea Newbie Here - Need Advice!

So would you vote to start looking to rehome now? With my second rooster (a surprise!), I knew it was going to be a problem but I waited until I could see the start of problems arising. Can I do the same with guineas in hopes everything ends up hunky-dory? Or do I do something now before they (probably) inevitably negatively effect my chickens? Either way, it sounds as though I’ll have to at least get rid of the male if I intend to keep a rooster. And if I get rid of the male, I shouldn’t have females. Is this correct based on your experience and knowledge?
Get more guineas and keep them separate from your chickens. Guinea hens without males makes for the noisiest guineas as they constantly call for mates that are never coming.

Get more guineas and keep them separate from your chickens. Guinea hens without males makes for the noisiest guineas as they constantly call for mates that are never coming.
I hadn’t planned on this but my young rooster is starting to be a bit of a jerk. He’s okay right now but if he continues, he’s out. If I don’t have a rooster, am I more likely to be okay with my one male Guinea and one or two female guineas? He’d be the only male on the farm unless one of my little silkies ends up being a rooster. We’ve been testing out some supervised free ranging for everyone over the last several days and *so far* it’s going well. Everyone comes come every 15 minutes or so to check back in.

I hadn’t planned on this but my young rooster is starting to be a bit of a jerk. He’s okay right now but if he continues, he’s out. If I don’t have a rooster, am I more likely to be okay with my one male Guinea and one or two female guineas? He’d be the only male on the farm unless one of my little silkies ends up being a rooster. We’ve been testing out some supervised free ranging for everyone over the last several days and *so far* it’s going well. Everyone comes come every 15 minutes or so to check back in.
No. Most young roosters especially those without an adult rooster to keep them in check go through a jerk phase and later on calm down.

Everything can seem great with raising guineas and chickens together until the following spring when the guinea breeding starts. Their natural instincts kick in then. The chickens will not understand the races and chases and the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and breaking. It can cause great stress to the chickens. The chickens do not know how to show submission in guinea understood form so the attacks on them become worse than the attacks the guineas do to each other.

Not all guineas are that bad with chickens. I have lots of each. If one gets super aggressive, I get rid of it. Just a trio of guineas should range together and generally not bother your chickens much.

@akf93 how did things go with the guineas?

I’m dealing with a very similar situation now. 3 guineas (2 F 1 M) raised with 4 Lavender Orps. All fine and dandy, but they have been pulling out my chicks tail feathers. After reading Guinea 101 and this thread, I’m super worried for the well being of my chicks come spring.

I’d love to hear how your crew is doing! Maybe there is hope for the guineas, my partner is over their noise and bullying, but I love them. :(

@akf93 how did things go with the guineas?

I’m dealing with a very similar situation now. 3 guineas (2 F 1 M) raised with 4 Lavender Orps. All fine and dandy, but they have been pulling out my chicks tail feathers. After reading Guinea 101 and this thread, I’m super worried for the well being of my chicks come spring.

I’d love to hear how your crew is doing! Maybe there is hope for the guineas, my partner is over their noise and bullying, but I love them. :(
We like to let things play out and do something IF/WHEN we see issues arising. So, my pup playfully got my girl Guinea. 🤦‍♀️ One of my boy Guineas came up missing one day a couple weeks ago. Guessing a predator since the other is still hanging around. My other boy is still around and loves the chickens. I love him so so so much! He’s so funny! BUT today actually, I noticed him hanging around our rooster and leaving his usual flock behind which is odd. So we are on high alert for watching for fighting behaviors but will probably have to do something about him soon, I’m guessing. 😞 The chickens so far don’t mind him a bit and my rooster is very docile (most of the hens chase him away at any mating attempt 😆). We won’t act until issues arise but whenever they do, we will act quickly. For reference, my “older” hens are 7 months old. My rooster is 6 months. And my younger hens (and Guinea) are between 4-5 months old.

We like to let things play out and do something IF/WHEN we see issues arising. So, my pup playfully got my girl Guinea. 🤦‍♀️ One of my boy Guineas came up missing one day a couple weeks ago. Guessing a predator since the other is still hanging around. My other boy is still around and loves the chickens. I love him so so so much! He’s so funny! BUT today actually, I noticed him hanging around our rooster and leaving his usual flock behind which is odd. So we are on high alert for watching for fighting behaviors but will probably have to do something about him soon, I’m guessing. 😞 The chickens so far don’t mind him a bit and my rooster is very docile (most of the hens chase him away at any mating attempt 😆). We won’t act until issues arise but whenever they do, we will act quickly. For reference, my “older” hens are 7 months old. My rooster is 6 months. And my younger hens (and Guinea) are between 4-5 months old.
This is all good news though! Sounds like everyone is happy and healthy thus far. Who knew birds could be so much work!?

I like the approach of waiting to see if there is an issue instead of anticipating it. Although, now I’m totally nervous for spring :fl

This is all good news though! Sounds like everyone is happy and healthy thus far. Who knew birds could be so much work!?

I like the approach of waiting to see if there is an issue instead of anticipating it. Although, now I’m totally nervous for spring :fl
For sure! Our Guinea will have to go one way or another before spring, almost certain on that. That jerk rooster I was talking about… he had to go. Started jumping my kids. 🙅‍♀️ kind of just hoping in the best way that the Guinea either flies off or a predator gets him so I don’t have to make the call. 😕

For sure! Our Guinea will have to go one way or another before spring, almost certain on that. That jerk rooster I was talking about… he had to go. Started jumping my kids. 🙅‍♀️ kind of just hoping in the best way that the Guinea either flies off or a predator gets him so I don’t have to make the call. 😕

Im so sorry. It’s all so difficult. I hope he finds a new home in the wild or helps complete the circle of life for you!

Sooo, do we all get guard geese now since these guineas aren’t working :th

Back
Top Bottom