Guinea or geese with ducks?

ShayB_318

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Indiana
I have been doing a small bit of research about protecting my ducks. We will soon have 13 ducks. Of course we will have them pinned up at night but I would like to let them have time to free range during the day. One of the reasons I like having ducks is the natural pest control. Also just want them to be able to run around a bit. I don't know which would be best for us. I have entertained the thoughts of having something outside with them like a Great Pyrenees, guiena or goose. If I got a goose or quail would I need more than one? Could they live together? Would females be better? Any other info you can tell me?

Last edited:
LOL I was wondering.

Some people think that geese can protect their flocks but having 2 geese one for almost 11 yrs the other for close to 6 other than being large they are no different than my other birds as far as fear goes. They ran for their lives along with the ducks and chickens when the red tail came down and attacked my bantam hen I never heard one peep out of them, Just my rooster.

This is a question I have wondered about from other people's experiences. After reading about the Super African breed of geese, it sounds like they would make a great guard goose and some places state that they have been known to be used as guards. They are very loud, muscular, intimidating, and they stand up to 3 ft as an adult. With all of the specs on the table, it sounds like they would at least attempt to ward a hawk off. I just haven't heard any stories related with this breed in this type of situation. Has anybody else heard anything about Super Africans being utilized as poultry guards?

Even Chinese are used as guard geese they are not a heavy breed but are loud and most likely in a flock situation would be very intimidating. But no goose by itself is going to be able to hold off a predator with teeth.

I have an Embden gander but he is no match for anything other than my rooster or my Muscovy drake. I saw on you tube a Falcon take down a Canada goose in flight.

Even in a gaggle of geese I think someone is going to give their life for the flock.
Super African? hope someone who has this breed weighs in.

I have been doing a small bit of research about protecting my ducks. We will soon have 13 ducks. Of course we will have them pinned up at night but I would like to let them have time to free range during the day. One of the reasons I like having ducks is the natural pest control. Also just want them to be able to run around a bit. I don't know which would be best for us. I have entertained the thoughts of having something outside with them like a Great Pyrenees, guiena or goose. If I got a goose or quail would I need more than one? Could they live together? Would females be better? Any other info you can tell me?

Back
Top Bottom