Guinea pecking order ordeal

Riverstone

Hatching
6 Years
May 8, 2013
Northcentral PA
My loving little guineas which I hand-raised as day old keets are fighting terribly...and this is my first year with guineas...

Here's the back story: I had 2 males and 2 females which paired off fine...then one of the females died so Peep was left without.

Fizz, the dominant male, let Peep hang out with him and his mate, but would keep Peep at a distance of about 5-10 feet. This went on for about 2 months, but evidently last night everything changed.

When I opened the coop this morning, Fizz was hiding and Peep was pecking at him. Peep then walked out of the coop with the female close behind. I finally coaxed Fizz out (he looked terrible, all scraggly and had feces on him) and the minute Peep saw him (from across the yard!) he came running (leaving the female behind and alone) and chased Fizz into a tree. The minute Fizz came down, Peep chased him again. This happened several times, the female being left alone still far across the yard, while Peep focused on Fizz. He finally cornered Fizz under our wood pile and proceeded to peck at him unmercifully.

I felt so bad since I've never witnessed this level of behavior before (even from Fizz when he first established himself as the Alpha) that I stepped in. I separated them and put Fizz back in the coop.

I don't know what to do now. Should I let nature take its course even if this means that Fizz might leave or, worse, be killed? Should I just keep them separated until the breeding season is done (and when is it done exactly)? Should I look into getting one or 3 more guinea hens? Or should I find a new home for one of the males? And, if so, which one?

I currently have 9 4-week old hens waiting to move into a separate chicken coop (my first flock of chickens). I'd like to have this situation well in hand before I introduce them to the guineas since I'm worried the aggressive male guinea might hurt them.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks for posting this question. I will eagerly await any responses - as a first timer, I have just combined a few orphans with a half dozen "brother" guineas and have a bit of snarky action on hand. My fist adopted - I'll call him Melvin, came with a girlie - I call her Zsa Zsa. They were joined by another female orphan - that went OK I guess, and then I introduced 6 new males that had been raised together. All about the same age - give or take. Well Melvin, has been pecking and chasing the gang of six and I was prepared for Melvin to take a bit of harassment as the odd man out. They have house and run with a door between to separate and allow for shooshing and scurrying. I have seen no real life threatening actions thus far, but Melvin is giving them all a run and probably restless afternoons.

Will this cease? I plan on adding more in from another adoptee bunch of males in next weeks.

Do they grow to a tolerant stage? Will Melvin always act the bully? Wonder what will happen once I free range them in the next months. Can't we all be friends?

(The females seem timid and are laying some eggs here and there inside the coop and run. (I had hoped to not have eggs for now.)

The males are compeating for females. This happens every mating season and the pecking order can be quite brutal if you only have a few guineas. I would separate them or he may be killed.
You never want less than 6 as the guinea guru PeepsCA will tell you. She knows everything about them.
yippiechickie.gif

Everything will smooth out when they all have a mate and start laying. Males are very aggressive when they don't have a mate, just go to a saloon on Saturday night, you will see the same thing.. LOL
smack.gif

I knew they would be competitive, but I just didn't realize it could get this bad. Like I said, the 1st Alpha wasn't very aggressive, but now that the 2nd male has taken over as Alpha, he's just been unmerciful... :(

Back
Top Bottom