guinea pig question!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Isablahblah, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    do male guinea pigs have tits also at what age do the testicles drop? also is it likely that a male would eat the guinea pig babies? what is the ideal age for a guinea pig to get pregnant?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You can tell a male by turning him over and press gently on his lower tummy. His doo hicky will pop out.
    They do have teats but nothing big or showy.
    As a rule they don't eat the babies but it is advisable to seperate males.
    I'd say two month's is an alright time, but I honestly don't remember how old they were when I let them breed. It's been a long time since I had guinea pigs.

3. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Don't bother breeding unless you have homes lined up for sure. I bred my female, she had 4 babies in January, and I'm still stuck with all but 1 of them. And I thought I had homes lined up. Pet stores won't take them either.

With females it's not so much how early, they can get pregnant when they are 21 days old. Not that it's recommended.

But you don't want a female getting pregnant after they've turned a year old. There are bones in their pelvis which fuse if they haven't had a litter by the time they are a year. If you do it after she could have major complications delivering, and require a c-section.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Please be aware that she will and can get preg. immediately after having her litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by