Guinea pig sitting on my bunny!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by MammaHen, Dec 13, 2008.

1. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    My twins have just got a guniea pig and a bunny for their birthday. My sons guinea pig insists on sitting on my duaghters bunny all the time. Is it trying to dominate the bunny, mate with the bunny or is it plain stupid? My daughter is beside herself that the bunny is gonna get hurt as the g pig is quite a bit larger. Any advice?

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe the pig thinks the bunny is her baby and is trying to protect it and keep it warm? [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    All I know is that we need pics! [​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Try giving the guinea pig some furniture. Like a house to go inside and either a house or brick that it can stand on top of. Things like that. It might help.

5. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Cavies and Rabbits should NOT be housed together.

If the Cavy (guinea pig) is "sitting" on the bunny, that could be a sign of dominant behaviour and it will not end there ..so it really is best to separate the two.

C'n C cages are not hard to build ..are quite safe for both species ..and they won't hurt your pocket book either. This is how I house my 7 Cavies and they LOVE it!! [​IMG]

6. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Aneesa's Muse :

Cavies and Rabbits should NOT be housed together.

Really? How odd. We always kept the "hayburners" together and never had an issue. They were also kept outside - a covered run in the spring/summer and an insulated shed during the winter. Our piggies would defend the baby bunnies, too, by charging at anything they thought was a threat and squealing to beat the band.

*shrug* Never knew it was a problem, and our piggies lived for 6+ years. The bunnies, not so long, since they were raised as fur/food rabbits. I think perhaps it's a space issue. Ours had a 12x16' shed in the winter and an outdoor run that was twice that size.

I am intrigued by the c'n'c cage idea. I wonder if I could build a quail coop out of that grid stuff for outdoors this spring. Hmm. [​IMG]
    -Spooky​

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Be very careful it is very dangerous to house piggies and rabbits together, The rabbits are much much stronger then the piggie and can kick them and hurt them by mistake. They play differently and they need different diets (piggies need more vit. C)

Alot of people do house them together, but I would not advice it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by