Guinea Question with a possibly obvious answer

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by CurlyLindsay, May 3, 2009.

1. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    I bought 3 guineas and have them caged, per the advice here, for a few weeks. I have one male and two females. They are supposedly 8 months old.

My question- can I hope that the females will lay eggs in their cage? Or are they too young or too stressed?

And is cracked corn, with small bits of greens/hay/whole oats a suitable ration for them if they are capable of laying?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    guineas are seasonal egg layers, ours lay everywhere, some in the chicken nest boxes, some right in the middle of the pasture, sometimes they look for out of the way hidden spots, under leaning boards, if you keep in a barn for a few weeks, where there are nesting boxes they may go back in there to roost, I think mine just followed the chickens in there and liked it.
    as for feed, we feed our scratch grains, and chicken feed, layer mash along with the chickens. if you just have guineas some people feed them a game bird feed, they eat alot of bugs though. corn alone is not real good.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I feed our 3 girls and one male guineas the same thing as the chickens -- layer crumbles w/ oyster shell available at will, with a scoop or two of scratch scattered throughout the run to give them something interesting to do. They lay in the same nest boxes the chickens do, occasionally leaving an egg in the run or in the dog house that sits in their original pen location.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Guineas pair up and mate for life ---1 male to 1 female, permanently -- if you have 3 in a cage I don't know how that will work out. They're not like chickens where you can have 1 rooster for many hens.

I have 3 males and 2 females that free-range, and they fought periodically with the extra male. Maybe we should have a trade!!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Guineas don't mate for life. It is common to see several females with one male and they might not be in the same "group" as they were the past breeding year.

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by