Guinea question

Jgeerl

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Photo is of guinea eggs next to an egg from one of my Rhode Island Reds. This is my first year with laying guineas. I read that they were seasonal layers. They started laying in March and I am still getting eggs in November. Is their season usually that long?

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_174309540.jpg
    IMG_20211105_174309540.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 5
Photo is of guinea eggs next to an egg from one of my Rhode Island Reds. This is my first year with laying guineas. I read that they were seasonal layers. They started laying in March and I am still getting eggs in November. Is their season usually that long?
My guineas started laying in the summer, & quit in mid October.

Where are you located? In in Oklahoma, and mine quit some time 1 month) ago, but they were also under stress from predator losses. In North America, most people seem to have an approximately April-Sept laying season, but I’ve also seen people posting about the odd winter egg…

The younger your guineas are the earlier they normally start to lay and the later they continue to lay. Each year they age the start time gets later and the end time gets earlier.

If you are supplying supplemental light it can affect how early they start and how late they quit.

My current flock consists mostly of 7 to 8 year old guineas. Mine did not start layiing this year until June and finished up at the end of October.

Where are you located? In in Oklahoma, and mine quit some time 1 month) ago, but they were also under stress from predator losses. In North America, most people seem to have an approximately April-Sept laying season, but I’ve also seen people posting about the odd winter egg…
I'm in Tennessee. Much of the summer they layed in various places on my five acres. This past week they started laying on the floor of a chicken shelter where I can find them. Wish they had that habit earlier.

Mine started in April, the last surviving hen this yr. quit when she went broody in July, and never took it up again. This was her 1st time going broody; last yr she had quit laying in the fall, then layed 1-just 1- in December.
Mine start & end the seasons dropping in the coop. Mb they know they aren't fertilized or know it's too early/late in the season for nesting. 🤷‍♀️
Mama's not really discussed it w/me. But I can tell you, she spent the full 28 days from July to August in the garden on her nest, when it was sweltering hot or pouring down rain - until every single egg had hatched. Before and after, she hated sundown and having to go inside.
Now, I let her out in the morning, she wanders around for abt an hr or 2, then gives the signal to the others that she's had enough & headed in. :lau

Back
Top Bottom