Guinea Question?

ameraucanacrazy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
macon,ga
I have 2 violet(1 male, 1 female), a royal purple male, a pearl female, a lavender male, a pied female, a slate female,a dun female, and a coral blue male, and I am new to guineas and i have had them for a year, but have only gotten 7 eggs and none of the eggs hatched. I was wondering how i could get them to lay more eggs next year. I was also wondering what colors I would get if the (pied or dun)and the coral blue had babies. And for the record i do not let them out they stay in a big pen , because i live so close to the road and they tend to play in it. And if anyone has any tips for keeping them out of the road please share them.

thanks

Quote:
I've had at least a dozen guineas get hit by cars, they never learn, they shy away from the road for about 2 days and are right back on it... I eventually put up a 4 foot high woven wire fence. It helps tremendously, not 100%, but at least they just can't all walk out on it from our driveway... once in a while a few will fly over, but never have they all went over... then the ones that flew over pace the fence back and forth trying to get back in the yard...
It helps if you don't have birds who previously were used to going on the road. I noticed my newly released ones (the ones who were never free to just walk down the drive way to the road) were less likely to fly over the fence... or try to get on the road.... as I was beside myself when one day I came home and not one but THREE were laying dead on the road.. that's when I went and spent the $100 for the fence, I didn't have to go more than 50-70 yards down each side of the road, as they typically never range that far, and always just went on the road right by our front yard.
So far so good, as its the only thing I can do other than keep them penned, which defeats the purpose of having them...

Last edited:
Pied is not a color by itself. Pied can be on any color so that doesn't tell us anything except that you could get offspring with white markings. Buff dundotte and Coral blue should get you lavender and coral blue but beyond that I'm not sure how those colors combine. More buff dundotte and buff might be possible and if you scroll down to the bottom of the guinea fowl international genetics page it seems you could get porcelain and opaline from the blue and buff crosses. http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/articles/genetics.php

dont know anything about colors. sorry cant help ya there.
yes you cant keep them out of the road. ive had many get hit before. dont know how to help ya there either..
as for eggs,,, if you got them when they were keets and have only had them for a year there probly a little young.
if you got them when they were adults then they are probly hiding there nests somewhere.
but if its the first one(got them when they were keets),, wait until this spring/summer. with this many females ,,,, you should get many many many eggs.

The fence is really your only option. You can do tricks like putting poles with string attached from one pole to another with shiny, moving objects hanging from it but after a while they get used to them and lose their effectiveness.

Quote:
I agree, we don't know how old your ginz were, so might be they were way young to lay much... another tip is when you do find a nest, if you want to eat the eggs, or store them for incubating, leave a few eggs in the nest (mark them with a pencil so you know what ones are fresh when you check everyday) if you take all the eggs, they will find a new nest, and then you have to watch and hunt for it again and again.
PS leaving a golf ball in the nest DOES NOT WORK... they are smarter than that
hmm.png

Fascinating about the golf balls and the nest eggs. I'd love to have guineas but my family objects to the noise.

Guineas are common around here, and around here not a lot of people pen or restrict any of their birds. Seems like every time I see guineas, they are on the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom