Guinea Questions

I also would like to know when they go outside. I am getting some keets on Sunday, I need to know how much time I have!

Quote:
by 'outside' do you mean from an inside brooder to an outside coop, or to outside as in freeranging?

I think this time of year, as long as you keep them dry they could go out into a safe coop within about a week of hatching.

To freerange, I'd wait till they're 8 weeks or so- or looking significantly less like chicken nuggets.

Quote:
Wow thanks for that link!!!!

and thanks everyonelse too
big_smile.png

Justino,I thought I saw a post where you had to get rid of a rooster do to the location in which you live in. If you are not able to keep a rosoter you are deffinatley not going to be able to keep Guineas. I also read that they do better with places to roam and trees to roost in. Do some more research and check with the town before you go ahead and get something that you may not be able to keep.

Quote:
oh no no no, we arent allowd to keep them at MY house (well we really are but parents dont want the noise) but we are starting a new flock at my grandmas house
big_smile.png
and theyve had a rooster before a loooong time ago and her neibores do so it should be allll good

I just got two adult guniea's today and all the way home in the car I was thinking, "gosh they are not loud at all, what cute little sounds" I pinned them up in the barn w/ the other roosting chickens just a few minutes ago and both of them started to alert at the same time, I think my ears might be bleeding (as I was also in the barn and quite stunned by the display) yes they are loud, very loud! Far louder than a rooster or peacock hands down, lucky for me I was expecting them to be loud and I have the land to support that sound but be prepared. I am stull shocked such a huge noise can come out of a small package!!! So where my chickens they all promptly got off their roosts and headed for the door. LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, try having 15 adults, with neighbors only 60' away. (So glad our coop is made of 12" stone and mortar.) We let our free range on our 1.5 acres during the day and coop them at night.

We currently have over 75 keets most of which are pied-pearls we plan NOT to keep.

well, i think itd be unfair to my grandma to keep em at her house so yeah, guess guineas will have to wait til i love on my own just like turkeys and quail LOL

thanks for all the help anyways guys
big_smile.png

Thank you all for these questions and links. I was blessed with a dozen Guinea eggs that hatched us out 4 keets, one had spraddle legs, I taped/towels etc that little bugger and it died. Pretty sad but I'm glad it it did, I hate culling anything. But that is ok, we still have 3 and they are cute!
The neighbors have been informed, ok'd. We hope they will winter in a pen with the chickens. We'll see!
Thank you Justino for great questions, I appreciate them!

I been feeding mine just regular chicken crumbles/starter without meds in them..They seem to do fine. Thet are growing like mad and all look/act healthy . Plus the occational grashopper, or cricket. Plus I added a pie pan of playsand in there.They love taking a bath in it.
Not sure on the age but it seems they are practicing their flying right now. They dont make any sounds yet besides the peep peep and some other high pitched ones.

Wer got 5 and I am searching for more.. FiL hatest them and no better way to upset him is wich a flock of screeching, loudmouthed Guinea fowl
smile.png

I think everyone should have those cittters.. their aditute and sounds are worth it alone.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom