guinea questions

We have a trio of guineas, they are easy to raise. We fed ours normal chick feed and gave them meal worms for more protein. Our male is a nocturnal bird killer. When we leave him in the coop with the chickens there are always dead birds the next morning, but during the day he is fine. They are loud and always talk. They are great foragers, in the spring and summer we let them free range and they almost never eat the feed, they fill up on bugs and weeds and stuff like that. They are great watch dogs and tattle tales. We had a roo fight and the guineas squaked up a storm until we went out there.

I do miss their bug-eating abilities. I think they tend to be a little more efficient than the chickens are at it and get more of the ticks than the chickens do. Wow, dead birds in the morning? That'd really bother me! I think I'd have them a separate coop, FMP, which I actually ended up doing, but it didn't work, sadly.

guins will stay in the group they are raised in.its just their way.they have their group pecking order estb.an if they mix with the other group it gets messed up.they will merge the groups sooner or later.

i had to remove 1 male from my pen of 16 the others were beating the he (double hockey sticks)out of him. moved him to the front pen and cut his wings.....doing much better now.

i am going to have to rehome several males ....have way to many in that pen. if i have counted right i have 6 hens in there.
sad.png

even though they can be mean i still love theire noise and antics....have a couple that like to run along the roof of the trailor.
smile.png

If my guineas are in the back field when I go to the barn they race up and fly to the top of the barn and you can hear them running up and down calling and raising a ruckus trying to tell the chickens I am coming. When they are in the front feild they run ahead of me and stand at the barn like they are telling the chickens here she comes! Crazy things.

I have several guineas. A pair of pearl that are two years old, a few I hatched this last summer at different times and a couple I bought at the local feed store. My guineas live with my muscovies, chickens, and turkeys at present, we couldn't seperate them out if we wanted to.

Things I have learned from my Guineas:

1) Guineas believe they are superior to every other bird. Last summer my adult male would try to break up fights between my full grown slate toms, it was the funniest thing to watch. Male guineas rarely tolerate roosters fighting either, they act like little policemen, breaking up the fights.

2) Guineas have a true sense of humor. My guineas would go out of their way to wait until 8 in the morning to fly over to the fence and cackle at my neighbor's window every day that he worked night shift. I think they enjoyed his reaction. They only did it when he had to go to work and only quit when he stopped yelling at them.

3) Guineas can be amazingly resilient. Our oldest male suffered a freak accident last summer and literally snapped his thighbone, right above the knee. It was so bad that you could see the bone through a tear in the skin. I was certain he was a goner and had him on hubby's list of birds to be dressed out. Somehow, he managed to hop around on one leg and spent most of his time with his hen by his side in the coop. As he never worsened, my hubby opted to let him be. Eventually, his leg healed on its own and he is still walking around today, the alpha of our guineas... Amazing.

4) Guineas aren't predictable. My guineas believe they are top birds in the yard but have a very strange affection for our goose, we even caught them cuddling with her one night, wish I had my camera with me. Last summer a couple of them adopted the neighbor ducks and would try to sleep with them at night.

My experiences may be very unique with them as I have for the most part always cross broodered most of my birds. When you hatch out only a couple of types of any one bird at a time, it just makes more sense to allow them to be together when they are really small and it seems to breed some tolerance into them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom