1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

guinea rooster with chicken hens

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by hanyonshatcheryny, May 21, 2011.

1. hanyonshatcheryny

hanyonshatcheryny New Egg

May 20, 2011
    I have about 15 various breed of chicken hens and I'm thinking about geting a few guinea hens and a guinea rooster I want to keep them together but I'm. Affraid of the rooster fertilizeing the chicken eggs I sell is this possible or not

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have had guineass for 6 years now and i have only seen roosters mate with guineas ,never seen guinea cock breed with chickens or even try for that matter so i do not think they can.

3. schuey

schuey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    Oh they can and do. I have a guinea cock that frequents one of my chicken hens that I have seen with my own eyes. As far as fertilizing her eggs, I know it is possible as well. I don't think this is the usually though. Look up guinea chicken cross in the search and see what you come up with.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:You may see mating action but actual transfer of sperm doesn't Happen. The crosses you see are from chicken Rooster to Guinea hen... Or Peafowl Cock to Guinea hen. Dang I cant find the article I read.....

5. schuey

Jan 24, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you for the correction...this is good information to know. Apparently the way to breed a guinea cock with a chicken is through artificial insemination, the opposite can happen, but is a rare occurrence.

6. hanyonshatcheryny

hanyonshatcheryny New Egg

May 20, 2011
    Thanks everyone you have been verry helpfull

7. perchie.girl

Quote:You are quite welcome to what little brain cells I can share..... LOL. [​IMG]

By the way [​IMG]

8. perchie.girl

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

If i ever seem snippy please feel free to [​IMG] I am still learning here too....

9. schuey

Jan 24, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    Don't give it a second thought Deb! I enjoy learning, that's what life is about.

10. perchie.girl

I chose to add that to my tag line because its sooo easy to misinterpret a spew of information (which I do on a regular basis... LOL) for being a know it all.... LOL. Sometimes its just All I know.... Hee hee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by