Guinea setting what do I do??

caral07

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Ruston Louisiana
My girls have been laying for about a month. They are outside the coop so they would all (5 hens) lay in the cut-over and then something would get into there nest and eat the eggs. They then would build a new nest and so on. Anyway they finally found a good nesting spot 1/2 mile from my home where they have 55 eggs in it. A couple of the hens started setting early this morning. Yes they are both setting togather. The only thing is I want to move them to the coop to keep them safe. I was planning to do that tonight; so I can pick them up, because they are tame but not enough for me to touch them. The only thing is will they set if I put there eggs in the ceader shavings in the coop or will they get mad and leave them alone??
idunno.gif

if they chose a spot that far away from your home, i would say leave them.

Nature knows best.

They might be in danger not being in the coop. But they chose that spot for a reason.

Quote:
Chances are high that they will abandon the eggs once relocated. But you have the other problem of them being out in the open for predators to get.

Guineas can be trained to lay in the coop. It takes either keeping the entire flock up or just the females for several days. I watch for the girls to be done laying their eggs for the day and then turn them out.

Back
Top Bottom