Guinea started laying in December?

MissTracy

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
Hello! We have a flock of 16 guinea fowl, 2-4 year-old range, 8 male and 8 female. Randomly a few days ago, one of our girls has started laying an egg a day. I believe they all stopped for the season in late August/early September. It hasn’t been unusually sunny or warm, in fact it has been quite cold and rainy. Not sure what is going on but should we expect them to keep it up or get the other girls laying too? Or will it probably stop soon? Thanks!

Not quite certain what is going on with her. I never had one lay this time of year, and doubt that the other females will start laying. Interesting post.
I have never had a guinea start laying during the winter either, but I have had a chicken go broody during the winter. With the hen it was just a hormonal fluke. Maybe somethings happened to stress her / to shock her hormones? It also could be that she’s getting a lot of calcium and her body has to get rid of it some way, like in the form of an egg

Hello! We have a flock of 16 guinea fowl, 2-4 year-old range, 8 male and 8 female. Randomly a few days ago, one of our girls has started laying an egg a day. I believe they all stopped for the season in late August/early September. It hasn’t been unusually sunny or warm, in fact it has been quite cold and rainy. Not sure what is going on but should we expect them to keep it up or get the other girls laying too? Or will it probably stop soon? Thanks!
It is not uncommon for guineas in the southern states to begin laying in November or December especially if they are first time layers. They usually only lay for a short time of up to a month to 6 weeks before stopping. They will then begin laying again during the spring.

It is not uncommon for guineas in the southern states to begin laying in November or December especially if they are first time layers. They usually only lay for a short time of up to a month to 6 weeks before stopping. They will then begin laying again during the spring.
Thank you. We are in NC where they were raised, just odd to have one pop up. Haven’t had any diet changes or anything like that. It’s not her first season either. Oh well, we will enjoy it while it lasts!

Thank you. We are in NC where they were raised, just odd to have one pop up. Haven’t had any diet changes or anything like that. It’s not her first season either. Oh well, we will enjoy it while it lasts!
I have read this same question from guinea owners in NC almost every year. You are definitely far enough south for it to happen.

Back
Top Bottom