Guinea with coturnix?

chickmashnoon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Champaign County, Illinois
Can I put a keets in with my coturnix until they get big enough to free-range? My coturnix will be mature in 3 weeks and are in a 10x16 pen that is 6 ft tall. If I remove them before they are fully mature, will they leave my Quail alone? Are there diseases I have to watch out for like chickens can pass to quail?

Can I put a keets in with my coturnix until they get big enough to free-range? My coturnix will be mature in 3 weeks and are in a 10x16 pen that is 6 ft tall. If I remove them before they are fully mature, will they leave my Quail alone? Are there diseases I have to watch out for like chickens can pass to quail?
You can do it but I would not recommend doing so. If you put keets in with your quail, the keets will imprint on the quail. When they grow up they will not know that there is a difference between quail and guineas which could end up being hazardous to the quail.

You can do it but I would not recommend doing so. If you put keets in with your quail, the keets will imprint on the quail. When they grow up they will not know that there is a difference between quail and guineas which could end up being hazardous to the quail.
When they grow up, the quail will be staying in the run and the guinea would free range and have a small Coop to roost in if they don't pick a tree. But we decided against it due to lack of info out there on communicable diseases that could be passed back and forth between the two. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm sure I can't be the only one to ever wonder how it might work out.

When they grow up, the quail will be staying in the run and the guinea would free range and have a small Coop to roost in if they don't pick a tree. But we decided against it due to lack of info out there on communicable diseases that could be passed back and forth between the two. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm sure I can't be the only one to ever wonder how it might work out.
How it would work out is that everything would seem fine until the first guinea breeding season when the guineas seemingly go nuts. At that point it is best if the guineas have lots of other guineas to take their habits out on rather than any other fowl which do not understand the mannerisms of guineas.

As far as diseases, guineas would most likely be susceptible to the same type of disease that quail would be subject and would not be likely to be impervious to diseases that they could pass on to the quail.

Well, I just wanted to raise the guinea long enough they could free-range for a bit before I put them in the freezer, They would all get put away at the first sign of sexual maturity . But I'm not sure that I could handle their chatter outside my window. Last time I had them with chickens and turkeys and they kept to themselves but constantly screeched at everything from their favorite hangout underneath my dining room window. Thankfully they are very tasty. This is my first time with quail and I mainly have them because I wanted a small poultry I could get eggs and meat from but would be safe around my 2 yr old. The guinea would just be extra freezer fill, I wouldn't have them for long. But I think I will wait until next year anyway. Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom